. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This project uses a 12mm or 1/2” thick aluminum plate or round bar to create a hand wheel.

If using cutoff round bar material you may need to square it up in the lathe first. Drill through the center of the material with a 5.0mm drill and thread with an M6 (6mm) tap. This serves to bolt the aluminum to a piece of material that can then be clamped to the machine bed.

When complete the center hole can be drilled or reamed out to the size required. The file's provided will machine the basic shape, other details can be done manually to one’s own requirements.

The G-Code file to machine basic wheel shape using a 4mm slot drill and a pdf of the part are attached to this post below. The part is quite a large file and may take a couple of hours to complete, if a lathe is available you could also turn the wheel for a final finish.

This was originally provided by Roy over at www.diycnc.co.uk, He also has some other cool projects too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handwheel2.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 18-03-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    .Me

Hi, can I ask what cad cam software you used to produce this part and post process it please?

Hi Chuck,

I got this project from Roy over at www.diycnc.co.uk so I don’t know what software he used sorry, I have updated the original post to correct a few things and I have also added a pdf as a technical document for the part, it shouldn't really be too hard to re-draw this part in your own favourite CAD program.

Will keep my eye out for your reply, would be cool to see you make this and use it on your machine!

.Me
    .Me

If I may just ask a question Lee, why is the handle not in the middle of the solid part as it would be much stronger!
    Peter

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    You could move the centre connecting web to the handle position.
    Last edited by i2i; 18-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Nothing to stop you designing your own.
    John S -

Not that I would want to design my own wheel, just from an engineering point of view having the handle offset from the web could lead to a fracture as the rim will flex under heavy stress as did citreon sterring wheels in the 60's DS19.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    as did citreon sterring wheels in the 60's DS19.

Peter
    That was 52 years ago, Fords have managed more monumental cock ups far more recent than that. :lol:
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    That was 52 years ago, Fords have managed more monumental cock ups far more recent than that. :lol:
    Ford is one big Cock up.!!!!

I may re-invent this wheel at some point :idea:
    .Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information