. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All, been reading and learning a lot on this site for quite a while, I built an mdf cnc last year and like most people got hooked and needed to build a better one. I decided to go with a fixed gantry this time and it looks like it will be a lot more stable than my previous moving gantry model. slightly larger footprint is small price to pay.
    I used 1"x3" coated mdf for this one ,I have used the 3.1Nm Nema23 439oz stepper motors and TB6560 Driver board from 1st machine.

I would like to thank all the people on this site for the helpfull information I have gained.
    Cheers, Tony.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy cnc.jpg 
Views:	1686 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	5400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy cnc plus laptop.jpg 
Views:	1909 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	5401
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 29-02-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: wrong url link, added youtube vid (Lee)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyken View Post
    Hi All, been reading and learning a lot on this site for quite a while, I built an mdf cnc last year and like most people got hooked and needed to build a better one. I decided to go with a fixed gantry this time and it looks like it will be a lot more stable than my previous moving gantry model. slightly larger footprint is small price to pay.
    I used 1"x3" coated mdf for this one ,I have used the 3.1Nm Nema23 439oz stepper motors and TB6560 Driver board from 1st machine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GX5...der&playnext=1
    I would like to thank all the people on this site for the helpfull information I have gained.
    Cheers, Tony.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy cnc.jpg 
Views:	1686 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	5400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy cnc plus laptop.jpg 
Views:	1909 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	5401
    I appreciate most of you are probably in engineering so please make allowances for my low skills as I am actually a 60 year old hairdresser !! and this is just a very enjoyable hobby.

Congrats on machine 2 Tony or is it Ken :confused:
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Congrats on machine 2 Tony or is it Ken :confused:
    Hi Lee, it's Tony, thanks.

Well done Tony

The fact that you have built a fully working machine is some achivement !

Well done

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Well done Tony

The fact that you have built a fully working machine is some achivement !

Well done
    Thanks a lot, it did feel good the first time ran it and it actually did what it was told, steep learning curve but well worth the effort. now down to thinking what to make with it !!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyken View Post
    now down to thinking what to make with it !!
    I know the feeling... made it because it was interesting to make, not for a specific purpose.

What screws are you using for each axis? Looks like ACME not ballscrews from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I know the feeling... made it because it was interesting to make, not for a specific purpose.

What screws are you using for each axis? Looks like ACME not ballscrews from here.
    Hi Jonathan, I used TR16x4Dx1500mm and 1000mmTrapezoidal Acme Leadscrew for the X and Y axis and 10 allthread for Z axis. had a couple of teething problems this last 2 days but will be all sorted out tomorrow.
    Got a new 25cc 2 stroke strimmer engine off ebay the other week so thinking large scale ( 8 foot wingspan plane ) using 1.5mm ply, got a lot of plans to play with, ( probably won't get off the ground but it's something to do
    ).
    Tony.

Tony sounds like fun, built a 1/4 scale CAP29 back in the late 80's with an old strimmer engine and wished i had the cnc then. It was all made out of light ply and i had to turn down the fly wheel on the engine to make it lighter and insert a four bolt concoction to mount the prop....Have fun
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Tony sounds like fun, built a 1/4 scale CAP29 back in the late 80's with an old strimmer engine and wished i had the cnc then. It was all made out of light ply and i had to turn down the fly wheel on the engine to make it lighter and insert a four bolt concoction to mount the prop....Have fun
    That's exactly what I want to do, working out best way to get dxf from pdf plans at moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information