. .
    what do you all think a bout this kit is anyone using it on here-http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/cnc-driver-kit-four-axis-p-365.html?osCsid=7e11cdd489eda79e36e5ab421e2bc7a4

Quote Originally Posted by whensparksfly View Post
    what do you all think a bout this kit is anyone using it on here-http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/cnc-driver-kit-four-axis-p-365.html?osCsid=7e11cdd489eda79e36e5ab421e2bc7a4
    What are you thinking of using it for?

I'd look at not going for the breakout board and going for usbcnc controller, a bit pricier but you dont have to shell out for mach 3 and struggle with getting a big old desktop with a parrellel port from somewhere, also theres alot of nice features in the software.

Andrew

for a plasma .so if you get it with usbcnc controller they supply you different sofware? is this sofware hard to use ?
    what would the extra cost be?
    thanks for the reply

I dont think they have a torch height control option as of yet or add on, so that might mean its not the right thing.

the usbcnc controller has its own control software, as opposed to mach 3 which uses the parrell port to send the pulse signals and deal with all the inputs and outputs, which is why a BOB is required.

I'd recommend contacting Gary at zapp and telling him what your trying to achieve and see what he suggests!

Andrew

he dosnt sell the torch height control z aixes he said can be used with the kit tho. does a plasma really need this

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbond View Post
    I dont think they have a torch height control option as of yet or add on, so that might mean its not the right thing.

the usbcnc controller has its own control software, as opposed to mach 3 which uses the parrell port to send the pulse signals and deal with all the inputs and outputs, which is why a BOB is required.
    USB-CNC & MAch3, sort of fulfill the same purpose....which is converting CAM etc generated g-code to stepper movement....they just approach it in different ways.

With Mach3 you buy the software & a separate stepper driver(s) & use a parallell port ....you often need a breakout board to allow access to the pins that you need - heaps of support available.

With USB-CNC you buy the card & software together (for one without the other is useless) & it uses a USB port....you don't need a breakout board, because USB-CNC hardware card essentially fills that role .....ie the card spits all the pulses and controls signal ins/outs on it's numerous connectors ...there is less support available (in that the subsriber base is a fraction of Mach3's so less users = less people who can help). Another nice by-produt is that once you've started a cutting cycle, your PC is no longer actively involved...so no danger of the pulse stream being interrupted by a dogy PC process kicking & causing a blip in the pulse stream out to your machine...it can handle a 100khz step frequency.

After using MAch3 for a while I moved over to CNC-USB ....it's a nice clean easy to use product & suits my way of working well....it's also evolving very quickly with very rich 'value added' features being added every week ...some are worth their weight in gold to me (as someone who doesn't really want to get deep down & dirty with scripting - I just want the machine to do what I need of it.....this is where it's a strong product for me)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 29-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HankMcSpank For This Useful Post:

Thanks Hank for saying what I didnt,

If your looking for a complete system with torch height control try contacting this company ...

http://www.eaziform.co.uk/

They sell a thc and control boards

Andrew

do you need a speical plasma or will anyone do

Thread Information