. .
  1. Good day all.

I am still having problems with my CNC router/mill from time to time.

I tried running the computer with windows 7 & mach3, but I had no end of problems, see my post here: DPC spikes stalling stepper motors.

I then wiped the system clean and installed windows xp home sp3, once again with mach3, I don't get the problems like I did with windows 7, but now and then I seem to lose a few steps or the motor stall.

The stange thing is one day I can be using the CNC for hours on end and not a problem, and another day just misses a few steps, and another day I could have no end of problems.

So before this computer go's flying out of a open or closed window, I tought it would be a good idea to try again with LinuxCNC.

Today I have done a full wipe of the hard drive, installed Windows XP home SP3 and Mach3 again, then installed Ubuntu 10.04 & LinuxCNC via the liveCD.

I now have a duel boot system. Windows and Linux.

Now here is where my problem starts, I have always been a Windows user, and not done much with linux in the past, besides a few terminal commands.
    And as such I don't know how to fully setup LinuxCNC.

I know that LinuxCNC can support multiple printer ports, I am just using two ports, Port1 is used just for the stepper drivers, and port2 is for the home/limit switches.

I think I have eveything setup right regarding port1 for the stepper drivers, but I just don't have a clue how I go about setting up port2 for the home/limit switches.

Can someone who has used LinuxCNC please advice me?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

On the first page of the config wizard you can add more ports via its address, then in the next screen you can assign those pins to what ever you want :-)

Run

lspci -v

in terminal to see if the card is showing up first (assuming it is a PCI you installed for the second)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Thread Information