. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @JAZZCNC: OK, after a long busy week of research I could not come up with a better design that would meet my requirements so I am going to copy yours, if you don't mind of-course!

So I have gone and modified my last attempt to incorporate the adjazztability factor, This is what I have so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base_V3.1.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	5629

There is 1 thing that I am not sure about or if it even matters, is there any calculation for the length/angle of the diagonal supports that connect to the sides or is it just "Aim for the Middle area"?

Again, are there any obvious things I have missed here before I move on with the drawing?

Jazz, looking at your base drawing what is the purpose of bolting the frame when only the connection between the rail support rhs and the frame will need adjusting to align the rails?

Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    Jazz, looking at your base drawing what is the purpose of bolting the frame when only the connection between the rail support rhs and the frame will need adjusting to align the rails?

Bruce

Technically it doesn't need to Bruce but it does have a few benefits (Eh he Lee taught me to spell that correct last night. . :rofl:)

First the thing weighs a bloody ton so makes transporting and siteing that much easier. It also allows so much more adjustment in all area's and makes setting up that much easier.
    If welded solid then your stuck with any errors without resorting to grinding or re-welding, it also very difficult making sure everything is square and without twist when welded solid and often the heat from welding can twist the frame. This doesn't tend to happen when done how I've done it and can easily be adjusted out or shimmed out when bolted together.

In the past I've done it both ways and this is by far the better way in my experience. Yes far more work but worth the effort IMO.

Junkie:

You need to add some triangle plates to the corner uprights where they meet the cross brace, like the pic below. (Take no notice of rest of frame it's not complete here, still needs corner braces amongst other things)
    I can have mine going upwards because there's the adjustable bed which they don't come above but if your not having an adjustable bed then just flip them and take down towards bottom corners. They really stiffen the frame up and stop any sideways movement, they also make getting the sides square to the base very easy when initially setting up.
    Don't be put off with bolting, the frame in the picture is unbelievably strong but yet very easy to setup due to all it's adjustment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0117.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	5631  

Okay point taken. Better go and redesign my base.

Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

Junkie:

You need to add some triangle plates to the corner uprights where they meet the cross brace, like the pic below. (Take no notice of rest of frame it's not complete here, still needs corner braces amongst other things)
    I can have mine going upwards because there's the adjustable bed which they don't come above but if your not having an adjustable bed then just flip them and take down towards bottom corners. They really stiffen the frame up and stop any sideways movement, they also make getting the sides square to the base very easy when initially setting up.
    Don't be put off with bolting, the frame in the picture is unbelievably strong but yet very easy to setup due to all it's adjustment.
    OK, I made the adjustments as suggested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base_V3.2.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	5705

I also added the X-Axis Support with Profile rails and Bearings. It is coming together nicely now, if all is OK and I hav'nt missed anything glaringly obvious I will start to work on the X-Axis BallScrew Mounts.

Regarding the Ballscrews for the X-Axis, Are there any things I should watch out for? Is there a good way and a bad way to mount BallScrews? What is the optimum way of doing this using belts? Should this Plate supporting the Stepper and Ballscrew be Bolted or Welded?

I know, to many questions again...

Coming along nice thou them sides look a little high if your not having an adjustable height bed. The Z axis will be quite long = flex = tool Chatter = Shite finish.!!

Regards the ballscrew mounts then again you need to try to build in has much adjustabilty for alignment as possible, you can weld support plates for the main ballscrew mount plates but would'nt weld the mounting plates them selfs better to bolt and allow adjustabilty.
    It also depends on the type of BS mounts your going to use to which way or how you go about it.

Some more renders to give some idea how I'm doing it, hopefully be able to show machined parts soon they will be slightly different but close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X motormount.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	5706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X rmount.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	5707  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information