Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here, I have finally got to the point where I want to start my CNC Build. So before I start I would like to get some advise from the already experienced members of the Forum. I have many questions about the Build and also the Electronics.

First the Build:

The CNC will be made out of Steel as that is what I have access to a fairly low cost, I was looking at Aluminium Extrusion but the Price was Prohibitive. Also the other reasons I decided on Steel is for the rigidity as one of the materials I would like to work on is Aluminium. The downside of going with Steel that I see is that it is not as flexible as the Aluminium Extrusion is, if you want to modify something in your build, are there any other Pros/Cons ?

I did find this CNC on Youtube. It is made of Steel and seems to have a good design, I would like to copy this design, is there anything in the design I should look out for?

I have a fairly small space to put my CNC, so the first thing I have nailed down is the size of the overall Base, 1200mm x 1000mm. With this size I feel I can comfortably work on 1/8 Sheets of Wood/Acrylic or Aluminium Blocks.

I have started the design process, here is the Base. I will post more pics later on as I get time to draw the parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base.JPG 
Views:	474 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	5431

Now to the Electronics:

My Goal with this would be to have a Accuracy and Speed but I am fairly sure I cannot have both, so I would like to be more on the Accuracy side than on the Speed side.

I have been looking at various electronics and Motors and I am not really sure what to get to achieve my Goals.

So far I have gathered that:
- There is no good or bad PSU, just get one that is suited to run your Steppers/Drivers etc...
- Digital Drivers and better than Analogue Drivers
- Servos are better than Steppers

Then again with all this above I could be Horribly wrong, so if I am, Please do not sugar coat it!

Thanks in advance for the Guidance, I am sure there will be more questions!