. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Another pic of the R8 endClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0128.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	8643
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

What size and type bearings did you use if you dont mind me asking? Still collecting info for my spindle project and its good to build up a data base of existing arrangements.

You are probably aware but the pinch bolt in the top lock nut could cause vibration and imbalance at high speed, since you mentioned vfd I'm guessing you are looking to increase top speed? If not ignore my comment

Hi Ross

The lower bearing is 35 x 62 x 18 and the top bearing is 28 x 52 x 12. I've left enough room to double the top bearing should i need too. It's all about making things fit, it does not work out then i shall build a complete new spindle and housing. The locknut should be fine as used that arrangement before on another project. It's all heavy duty so will have to see how it works out. Just made a new adjustable burner for the furnace, so will get some Ali blanks cast at some point this week to make the pulleys. I can then start getting the motor mounted etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	8688

The locknut should be fine as used that arrangement before on another project.
    Fair point, just seems a shame to do all that work and then risk an imbalance problem

Cheers for the bearing info, are they AC or deep groove?

lastly why would you want to put 2 bearings at the top? most of the cutting force is in the lower bearing, hence the lower one being bigger.

Cheers

The top are just deep groove, having two just helps with stability. As for the nut i could always replace that without too much effort. Thamesdown bearings said they could get me proper locknut but only on as a special order for a ton of money. I will learn a lot more from what does not work, i'm happy to just plod along

I did my casting today for the pulleys as one of the kids had a teacher training day. I had the first pulley on the lathe tonight and ruffed out. Need now to switch to the 4 jaw for the finishing cuts. Before i can do that i need to make a new mount for the lathe theres always one more job that gets in the way......

Hi Swarfing, apologies I seem to have ended up critising your design when you didn't ask for help. duh

I just have an inquisitive mind and when I see something different I have to ask just in case they know a special trick

Based on what I have read from other threads I think you might have problems with using deep groove bearings preloaded against AC, but I wont mention anything about that.

with regard to the lock nuts can't you just get 2 more of the wheel nuts and face them down to 4/5mm thick on your lathe?

Ross don't apologise for having an opinion thats a good thing. I'm replicating what Arboga had in the first place (who am i to argue). I plan to build a complete new head at some point so just want to get the build finished, this allows me to carry on building with roughly the parts to size needed. I'm waiting on some hydrolic Tubing to make up a complete new spindle (when he gets some in of the right size).

So is the standard set up an AC bearing at the bottom and then 2 deep groove at the top? sounds a bit strange. for 2 bearings at the top I would expect a roller bearing at the bottom (radial loads) and then 2 opposing AC bearings at the top (axial loads).

I know what you mean about getting it working to then build the upgrade parts. Sounds like we are doing very similar projects. I think I will watch your progress and learn from your mistakes.

No it is a taper bearing at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    No it is a taper bearing at the bottom
    Ok that makes sense, deep groove bearings pre-loading a taper which can take axial and radial load. I would have thought an AC at the top would have been better as you still get the speed increase from using ball bearings but not the heat issues with pre-loading deep groove bearings, (as you are forcing them to run on the edge of the race) excessive heat will cause expansion and reduce the pre-load on the bearings and therefore rigidity.

This is the theory so it will be interesting to see if in a hobby environment it is actually a problem. that is what I'm trying to find is the balance between the ideal design and what works in practice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information