. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Look at bottom pic and you will see what i mean....http://www.lathes.co.uk/arboga/index.html
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    3. The drill chuck is stuck in the taper (looks like it has never been removed since new)
    That doesn't sound good, especially if your chuck extractor isn't good and hard.

Gi' it some wellie, hope they didn't use Loctite and if all else fails call out the fire brigade and see if they have something hydraulic :naughty:

Should be fine robin as it has a knockout in the side of the quill.....but yes a bit of welly will work nicely

I've promised myself some time next week so will start the clean up and get some pics up of how she looks now. Come up with very dark grey colour almost black and maybe a hint of green here and there? I know painting is not the be all and all but better to get that done whilst i have a chance or like everything else once it is together it will stay that way......I really do need to clean up the shop though and start getting rid of the rubbish...I hate cleaning.

Still waiting on the screws to arrive for this one and still mulling ideas about the screw needed for the Z'd if i go down that route. Looking at it though i may be easier to replace the pinion gear that is there and work some way of tensioning it to alleviate the backlash?

Did you get much further I am just going to start a similar conversion on my Arboga and would love to hear of your progress
    Geoff Cape Town

Quote Originally Posted by gmfmo View Post
    Did you get much further I am just going to start a similar conversion on my Arboga and would love to hear of your progress
    Geoff Cape Town
    Hi Long time since I posted to you so here goes.
    My Arboga conversion is now operational. Still to fit are guards and some kind of spring or counter weight to the Z axis
    I used 2 to 1 reduction belt drives with nema 25 425oz motors.
    I have reasonable back lash on y and z axis but 3 thou on the x axis.
    I am thinking about upgrading to ball screws on x and y and a screw z conversion in order to get rid of the machines worm drive.

Have you a recommendation you would share with me.
    I am at the moment in the US visiting my son and thought it would be a good idea to get bits over here and save the hassle of shipping and duties that make life difficult in South Africa.
    I came over at short notice so I did no measurements.
    After getting pulleys,belts,stepper motors and a driver board it took about 6 months to get it done

Geoff Ford Cape Town

Hi Geoff the short answer is yes and it is not the easiest conversion on the planet if you want to do it right. There is not a lot of space for 20mm ballscrews under that table. I've dumped the gearbox on top and going for two speed direct drive on VFD. Expect to do a lot of machining of the table. Not really a job unless you have access to another mill. I have had to build a complete new inner spindle to give tool release (it will accept R8 as well).

The project has been on hold for a while due to other circumstances, i will get back to this thread properly as soon as i can.

About time for an update and a drip feed of pics. Tonight I finished rebuilding the spindle for this machine in readiness for the Poly v pulleys i need to make. I dumped the original inner and used an old spindle from a lever lock collet closer. I re machined it to take new bearings and machined it to use R8 tooling (before you ask why?....i have loads of it already). I ended up with a 28mm id bearing on the top and needed a lock nut, apparently they don't do them? So i ordered a 28mm x 1.5 pitch hub nut for a citron/ Peugeot that fitted the bill and sunk a capcrew in the side and slit it. It locks lovely

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	8642

The next job is to make the pulleys and machine the rest of the spindle so it all looks good.
    Last edited by Swarfing; 03-04-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Another pic of the R8 endClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0128.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	8643

What size and type bearings did you use if you dont mind me asking? Still collecting info for my spindle project and its good to build up a data base of existing arrangements.

You are probably aware but the pinch bolt in the top lock nut could cause vibration and imbalance at high speed, since you mentioned vfd I'm guessing you are looking to increase top speed? If not ignore my comment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information