. .
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I think I could certainly do worse than the 6040. Tenson I can tell that you are obviously more than happy with your purchase. Is it likely that I'll have to pay import on it, if it's already in the country??

thanks

andy

Not sure to be honest. I paid import on my CNC3040 but it was shipped from China. However they put the value down as £100.

I'll be selling my CNC3040 when I finish building my DIY machine. At least the buyer can know it is shipping within the UK and it all works.

3. Andy,

YOu won't pay import but the fees you see on the site. The massive postage you see on them is to fold, first to pay off the bond that the UK government has on the shipping warehouse where these machines are being stored and second to ensure they meet the minimum profit margin that The Chinese government manager has set for the product. Being a business owner I can tell you that the cost of doing business in the UK coupled with China keeping their currency value low makes it difficult for many companies to compete. There are other additional reasons but this is not the place to go into them. Good luck and if you need help let me know.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
    I do have to agree with you Jonathan, you do get what you pay for. It's all about fitness for purpose. It's like trying to buy a BMW on fiat money.
    I resemble that remark. :confused:

I have just bought two Fiat trucks. Bummer.. Do BMW's make 3 tonners ?
    John S -

All bmw's weigh 3 tonnes!!!
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    That's not really the point is it? There is always something better.Unless going DIY I don't think the 6040 will be easily beaten. It's not that badly made anyway, it uses 16mm solid alu plate and supported Y axis rails. The feed-rates will be quite slow but you have to compromise something when you have a limited budget.

Which is the weak part of the 6040 that is making the feed rates slow? (& can this be upgraded?)

Actually I have a CNC3040 but it looks like the 6040 uses a similar motor controller given the enclosure size. I'm new to all this so I may be wrong but I suspect the motor controller is the weak link. It looks like it is an all-in-one 3 axis board like the CNC3040 uses and it runs on about 24 Volts. If you look at the driver circuits from ZappAutomation and the like they run on 50-80V. The motors are of course also a consideration but I guess just going by the size of them, they could take a bit more power.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, given the response of the people I purchased my unit from, it seems there is a central manufacturere and most of the items on eBay are from resellers. Does anyone know who the original maker of these designs is? Is it www.cncdiy.org?

Also, given the response of the people I purchased my unit from, it seems there is a central manufacturere and most of the items on eBay are from resellers. Does anyone know who the original maker of these designs is? Is it www.cncdiy.org?
    I doubt it...that cncdiy hasn't been updated since last summer (I don't even think they're trading right now -check out the comments on here ..... http://cncdiy.forumr.biz/f1-cncdiy-s-machines !!)

I think YooCNC are quite a large manafacturer (& certainly appear to be the supplier to cncdiy)

Tenson and Michael appreciate the info on the "shipping costs" I can see now why they are so high!

@John S "I do have to agree with you Jonathan, you do get what you pay for. It's all about fitness for purpose. It's like trying to buy a BMW on fiat money.

I resemble that remark. :confused:

I have just bought two Fiat trucks. Bummer.. Do BMW's make 3 tonners ? "

Lol:naughty: Hey there's nowt wrong with Fiat,- at least all the exposed screw heads inside helpfully reveal how to take the panels off!! They may well be different now But I'm just going off the experience cars I've owned 10 years ago ;-)

Sheesh next you'll have me putting my foot in it saying that all audi owners are twats and those day running lights are 'a bit gay' and annoy the hell out of me ;-) ON a side not to that statement.. I also just got rid of my old Audi 80 2.6 cabriolet and I miss her....

That's not really the point is it? There is always something better.Unless going DIY I don't think the 6040 will be easily beaten. It's not that badly made anyway, it uses 16mm solid alu plate and supported Y axis rails. The feed-rates will be quite slow but you have to compromise something when you have a limited budget.
    Yes it's absolutly the point.!! . . . You don't have the experience to say other wise. . . Jonathan does and he's absolutely correct.!!

NOW.!!. . . I just happen to have in my possetion a 3020 machine and I can tell you 110% it's a toy compared to a better built DIY machine.

The electronics are cheap nasty things just waiting to die.
    The spindle is complete junk and barbige, It's basicly a cheap 24V DC motor with a cut down ER11 or something like that collet chuck with hole machined in the end and held on motor shaft with a grub screw, my knob's got less runout.!!

Acme thread is cheap and nasty with crappy plastic nuts and will wear out quickly with anykind of moderately tuff dirty work.

The frame, bed etc, on this machine is ok and suprisingly tight but thats mainly down to it's tiny size and any larger/longer or wider and the unsupported rails will flex under cutting.

Really the only acceptable part of this machine is the main frame the rest is a lottery to when it's going to die and when they do die any one of them is a expensive item to replace.!!
    The driver is all-in-one so if any axis goes they all go so that's 3 x drives at £45 each plus BOB at £15-20 or buy another cheap ebay TB chip based pile of junk.!!
    Spindle anywhere from £40-150 depending on what you choose.
    Acme Screw nut probably not available so special made job or replace the whole screw/nut combo again hassle and not cheap £40-100

So my real point being they may look cheap but they won't workout cheap in the end.!!! . . . Save your money, save up and build the real thing to your own spec.!
    It won't cost much more and with £1500 you'll have a machine that will last for years and make these chinese pieces of shite look like the dinky toys they really are.!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information