. .
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
    At the moment I don't really have the time for building my own from scratch... I want to actually get stuck in and not spend ages trying to collect the parts etc..

I'm looking at making items from wood/mdf and occasionally light aluminium jobs.
    Jazz, in the context of not going DIY and the limited budget of £1200 MAX. What is a better option than the 6040?

Jazz,
    You seen a 6040 in the flesh ?
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Jazz,
    You seen a 6040 in the flesh ?
    No not yet John. But if this small thing I've got here is a guide then I'm not hopefull.!! . . . It's not so much the base machine John but the rest of it that's rubbish and even the base machine hisn't anything to write home about .:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Jazz, in the context of not going DIY and the limited budget of £1200 MAX. What is a better option than the 6040?
    Been said before but there hisn't anything you can buy off the shelf ready made for £1200 but that still doesn't mean it's something I'd encourage folks to do.!!
    I'd say save your money add some to it and buy a proper machine that will last. . . . NO ACTUALLY. . . . I'd say build your own because for £1200 or not a lot more then it's very possible build your own custom machine with far far better components.!!
    The last time this was brought up (By John S) I did actually do a rough costing exercise and it's possible build a similiar size machine as the 6040 for around the same money but with far better components.

I'm interested in hearing about a 6040 as to be honest even though I'm perfectly capable of building one I just don't have the time.
    I have 3 personal mill conversions on the go at the moment.
    One from 3 years ago ?

The short comings of the 3040's are obvious from looking at the machines, unsupported rails, so so electronics and now we have hands on reports the spindles are next to useless but the 6040's in high spec mode from various sellers have the water cooled spindles.
    Jazz did a costing exercise and he reckons that it's possible to build a 6040 size machine but better for the same money ? however he didn't make it clear if that was working for ones self, count labour and it's probably not and the way work is at the moment I just don't have the time.
    John S -

Got to say, that the 6040 looks a whole lot better machine than the 3040....still junk drivers, but they can be replaced for £85 for 3 x 542 variants....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEMA23-Ste...item20bc43d75b

Having built my first one, I can say it was fun, educational...but ultimately totally crap. It probably needs someone to have made at least 4 or 5 machines before they're on top of it all ...I haven't the time nor the inclination to start another build. I lost my job last year & when that happens urgency kicks in...and frankly I'd rather some bloke that's partial to a bowl of boil rice build me a frame, rather than taking time out from getting a new source of revenue out to put one together myself badly!

there's a lot to be said for economies of scale...they've the jigs tools machines to rustle one up in short order (& to a fairly tight spec - certainly mechanically)...& then flog it at a reasonable price ...I haven't the tools, jigs (and as I've learned the skills neither!) but make no mistrake, my time has value...it's just not making CNC machines!

I still find it hard to believe that no enterprising soul is plugging the gap in the market...a UK CNC'er is faced with chinese import or building their own...each is fraught with being a potential time sump - someone neds to step up to the mantle and knock out a decent' spec'ed machine where we don't have to sell a kidney.

How much do you value a kidney ?
    I wonder how much Fray Bentos could make a 6040 for ?
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that no enterprising soul is plugging the gap in the market...a UK CNC'er is faced with chinese import or building their own...each is fraught with being a potential time sump - someone neds to step up to the mantle and knock out a decent' spec'ed machine where we don't have to sell a kidney.
    Yes and you know why that is don't you.??. . . . . . GREED TOTAL AND UTTER GREED. If they can't make minimum 200% profit they don't want to know.! So corners get cutt and cheap nasty components and build practise's are used to maximise profits.!! . . . . . You only have to peruse about the forums to see "STRIKE"-INGLY clear cases of this.!!!!. .

John S: Yes it was to DIY the machine but so much more for money and I seem to remember was with a 1.5kw WC /vfd setup.

@itsmillertime: I too was looking at the route of buying a machine for a +-£1000 and quickly realized that they really are not worth the Money especially if you want to use them to make some money. For a £1000 - £1500 you could build a really good machine. As JAZZCNC already mentioned, In the long run the cheap machines will cost you more money and will eat into the little profits that you already made. The benifits of the better DIY machine far out weigh the convenience of a Chinese machine especially if you are looking to make money with it.
    My advice if you want to use the machine as a money maker, spend some time on the design or copy one, JAZZCNC has a great design! :whistling::naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieHobbo View Post
    @itsmillertime: I too was looking at the route of buying a machine for a +-£1000 and quickly realized that they really are not worth the Money especially if you want to use them to make some money. For a £1000 - £1500 you could build a really good machine.
    There's a degree of irony in that - for a start everyones time has value (even if you're unemployed, researching all this CNC melarkey takes time...and that time could be spent trying to generate revenue!). For a CNC novice, how long to collect all the info, order the parts from here there & everywhere & then assemble - yonks.

In all of that yonks, he could be using the pre-made machine to make money!

Don't get me wrong...some enjoy the chase (been there done that ...the jury is still out), for those where this a hobby, then the time is money argument is negated somewhat, but when you speak of making money, then I would strongly urge paying someone to make you one (like Jazz, Jonathan etc) or buying something like the 6040Z to get you up and running quickly. (it's not a *bad* spec - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CNC-60...-/170683340109)

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    There's a degree of irony in that - for a start everyones time has value (even if you're unemployed, researching all this CNC melarkey takes time...and that time could be spent trying to generate revenue!). For a CNC novice, how long to collect all the info, order the parts from here there & everywhere & then assemble - yonks.

In all of that yonks, he could be using the pre-made machine to make money!

Don't get me wrong...some enjoy the chase (been there done that ...the jury is still out), for those where this a hobby, then the time is money argument is negated somewhat, but when you speak of making money, then I would strongly urge paying someone to make you one (like Jazz, Jonathan etc) or buying something like the 6040Z to get you up and running quickly. (it's not a *bad* spec - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CNC-60...-/170683340109)
    I agree 100% with your view, my view is more on the Hobbiyist side where you make some side cash in your spare time and time spent in the "chase" is not really calculated as money. Also if it was for making money a better machine would be able to give better results and potentially be even faster and cheaper in the long run and also give better return over time. Then again I am a newbie still and learning alot.

I am also a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information