Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
That's not really the point is it? There is always something better.Unless going DIY I don't think the 6040 will be easily beaten. It's not that badly made anyway, it uses 16mm solid alu plate and supported Y axis rails. The feed-rates will be quite slow but you have to compromise something when you have a limited budget.
Yes it's absolutly the point.!! . . . You don't have the experience to say other wise. . . Jonathan does and he's absolutely correct.!!

NOW.!!. . . I just happen to have in my possetion a 3020 machine and I can tell you 110% it's a toy compared to a better built DIY machine.

The electronics are cheap nasty things just waiting to die.
The spindle is complete junk and barbige, It's basicly a cheap 24V DC motor with a cut down ER11 or something like that collet chuck with hole machined in the end and held on motor shaft with a grub screw, my knob's got less runout.!!

Acme thread is cheap and nasty with crappy plastic nuts and will wear out quickly with anykind of moderately tuff dirty work.

The frame, bed etc, on this machine is ok and suprisingly tight but thats mainly down to it's tiny size and any larger/longer or wider and the unsupported rails will flex under cutting.

Really the only acceptable part of this machine is the main frame the rest is a lottery to when it's going to die and when they do die any one of them is a expensive item to replace.!!
The driver is all-in-one so if any axis goes they all go so that's 3 x drives at £45 each plus BOB at £15-20 or buy another cheap ebay TB chip based pile of junk.!!
Spindle anywhere from £40-150 depending on what you choose.
Acme Screw nut probably not available so special made job or replace the whole screw/nut combo again hassle and not cheap £40-100

So my real point being they may look cheap but they won't workout cheap in the end.!!! . . . Save your money, save up and build the real thing to your own spec.!
It won't cost much more and with £1500 you'll have a machine that will last for years and make these chinese pieces of shite look like the dinky toys they really are.!!