. .
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Software, out of the apps I've played with these are the ones I've I've kept:

Albatross3D
    Free, true 3D modelling sw, a little buggy, out of date, no longer supported but a quick and easy way to view and edit complex 3D models. It supports several file conversion options and is so, so, so much easier to learn than...

Blender
    Open source 3D modelling legend but a hell of a learning curve.

CamBam
    Lovely sw. I'm still on the trial period because for simple 2D layout I can get away with...

EagleCAD
    PCB schematic sw, but if all you need are some holes and simple geometric patterns that fit within the limited 'board size' the free version allows and you are happy with editing and extending the GCode produced by the PCB milling plug in then it does the job.

HeeksCAD / HeeksCNC
    Free, CAD + GCode generation. Looks like I don't have it installed right now, maybe too buggy but worth a look.

FreeCAD
    Open source. Quite a new entry and under heavy development but worth a play.

MeshLab and NetFabb
    Free, used for hacking and repairing complex 3D models.

LinuxCNC
    Of course. Not so frightening once you get up to speed, though it is missing the many friendly plugins that can be be used with Mach. Basically, ignore all the complex stuff, use the setup wizard and off you go.
    Last edited by ecat; 04-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Hello & Apologies for hijacking the thread and not using PMs - but I can't seem to send a PM yet.. I've been reading the forums here for a few weeks now and finally decided to join yesterday!

Mainly @ JAZZCNC & Jonathan - You guys seem to be pretty confident that a better quality DIY CNC can be built for about the same sort of money as a 6040.. I'm really keen to get a CNC project up and running at home for various hobbies etc - and have been considering a 6040 (after reading loads of OK-ish reviews) but TBH am not keen on spending all that money to get a kit that seems to have a lot of common problems (circuit grounding / bed surface / etc).. I am really keen to try and build a comparably sized CNC for similar cost but am feeling more than a little overwhelmed by all that needs to be covered..

Both of you have stated that you are willing to help users with designs, and your many posts in other threads do indeed show this to be the case.. My main point of interest is in the rough costing & BoM that JAZZ said he had worked out, as well as good cheap sources for all the parts (without massive lead times) and any recommended designs for a starting point.. There was also a hint earlier in this thread that such a project could be sourced in a few weeks and then completed in a month (which I think is a little ambitious for me considering general lack of fancy equipment like drill presses etc but am willing to give it a go).. I am very very keen to get started on this project (have a goal for some personalised Xmas gifts!) so would be very interested to hear your input as to how to tackle this behemoth..

Things to bear in mind:
    1. My Limited engineering background & lack of access to advanced workshop tools (presses/lathes/mills etc).
    2. End project is mainly going to be used for PCB machining (needs to be precise), wood carving and occasional aluminium/brass work.
    3. Final machinable area should be of similar size to 6040 (basically anything over 300mm square with approx 10-15cm Z-axis would be perfect for my needs)
    4. High Feed rate not of great importance - more interested in precision than speed.
    5. Would prefer a fixed bed design..

I know I'm asking a lot from you guys with little to offer in return, but I'm hoping that you may be able to provide me with the needed help to get this project out of my head and into my garage so I can stop saying "if only I had a CNC setup.."

Hope to hear from you..

Ray

Ok well you have clear goals that makes a good starting point. Thou I'd caution against being in too big a rush and say, While It may well have possibly been me that said could be done within a month this would be for a equipped and experienced person having knowledge of what exactly required. Expect for it to take longer before fully working with any kinks worked out.!!

I will gladly help with advice and design ideas along with recommending suppliers but from the start I'll say I can't offer any more than that.? By that I mean I haven't got spare time enough to offer a design that is complete enough for you to follow has a plan.!
    When I looked at the pricing and whether or not it could be done for the same money has Ebay 6040 then I worked from my experience and the little details I didn't need to know for pricing but when it comes to building a complete machine these details regard build strategy become very very important.

It can be done and done far far better for approx same money but a clear design plan will be needed.! I will gladly help you come to this design but mostly you'll have to do the work and really for the best chance of success and to make it an enjoyable experience it's very much in your best interest to fully understand the intimate workings.

I will PM you my number has I can help and explain far easier over the phone where has writing these lengthy posts takes lots of time which would only take minutes over the phone (Well maybe several lengthier calls . Lol). I know this doesn't help the others on the forum but it does if you start a build thread and pass on the experience which after all will be more directly related to this size machine and therefore more helpful to others.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdebourbon View Post
    Hello & Apologies for hijacking the thread and not using PMs - but I can't seem to send a PM yet.. I've been reading the forums here for a few weeks now and finally decided to join yesterday!

Mainly @ JAZZCNC & Jonathan - You guys seem to be pretty confident that a better quality DIY CNC can be built for about the same sort of money as a 6040.. I'm really keen to get a CNC project up and running at home for various hobbies etc - and have been considering a 6040 (after reading loads of OK-ish reviews) but TBH am not keen on spending all that money to get a kit that seems to have a lot of common problems (circuit grounding / bed surface / etc).. I am really keen to try and build a comparably sized CNC for similar cost but am feeling more than a little overwhelmed by all that needs to be covered..

Both of you have stated that you are willing to help users with designs, and your many posts in other threads do indeed show this to be the case.. My main point of interest is in the rough costing & BoM that JAZZ said he had worked out, as well as good cheap sources for all the parts (without massive lead times) and any recommended designs for a starting point.. There was also a hint earlier in this thread that such a project could be sourced in a few weeks and then completed in a month (which I think is a little ambitious for me considering general lack of fancy equipment like drill presses etc but am willing to give it a go).. I am very very keen to get started on this project (have a goal for some personalised Xmas gifts!) so would be very interested to hear your input as to how to tackle this behemoth..

Things to bear in mind:
    1. My Limited engineering background & lack of access to advanced workshop tools (presses/lathes/mills etc).
    2. End project is mainly going to be used for PCB machining (needs to be precise), wood carving and occasional aluminium/brass work.
    3. Final machinable area should be of similar size to 6040 (basically anything over 300mm square with approx 10-15cm Z-axis would be perfect for my needs)
    4. High Feed rate not of great importance - more interested in precision than speed.
    5. Would prefer a fixed bed design..

I know I'm asking a lot from you guys with little to offer in return, but I'm hoping that you may be able to provide me with the needed help to get this project out of my head and into my garage so I can stop saying "if only I had a CNC setup.."

Hope to hear from you..

Ray
    Hi, i have a Denford Microrouter here that i can do to you at £1200 with Mach3 setup on a computer ready for you to use. I also have a vac bed and axminster extractor available for it.
    It's A3, and fully enclosed case, so no mess all over your workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    Hi, i have a Denford Microrouter here that i can do to you at £1200 with Mach3 setup on a computer ready for you to use. I also have a vac bed and axminster extractor available for it.
    It's A3, and fully enclosed case, so no mess all over your workshop.
    rdebourbon if your serious about a machine and it's in decent condition which I don't doubt it is then snap i2i hand off before someone else does.!!

6. Hi All,

These machines have started to appear on eBay, they look more sturdy then the Chinese ones and come with UK Support. Black Cat CNC Machine 600x400mm cut area. EU Support / Warranty | eBay

Just a thought,

Cheers,
    Geoff

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    rdebourbon if your serious about a machine and it's in decent condition which I don't doubt it is then snap i2i hand off before someone else does.!!
    Thanks for the heads up, it is in great condition.

is denford set up still available ?

Quote Originally Posted by joncdrl View Post
    is denford set up still available ?
    Sorry it's been sold

Sorry you will have to excuse me as I am new here but I was hoping Andy might be able to tell me why he decided to buy a machine in the first place. Can understand that it would be something he could do from home but just wondered why a cnc router rather than anything else that could be done from home to generate an extra bit of income. Sure there must have been things that wouldn't require as large an outlay to start with & might also be easier to learn to do.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information