. .
    Evening all, setvup the cnc tonight on half steps and all was going fine just a bit noisey, so decided to try 1/16th step but when i do this when i tell it to move 5mm it moves 30?

Now i got 200step motors at 16th so thats 3200 steps per rev?

5mm direct drive lead screw

3200/500= 640steps per mm which is what i have entered into motor tuning.

Is my maths correct or have i gone totaly off course? Cheers simon

Yes thats correct but did you remember to click the Axis then save in motor tuning.???????????????

Probably stateing the obvious but when frustration sets in I know how easy it is to over look obvious things.!!! Have you Checked the figures you entered are there.??

Haha yeh i Saved them, i know what you mean frustrated and frantically clicking. Also checked the units was in mm, scratching head continues, may have to be left on half step!

Did you turn the driver off when you changed the switches? It may only read them at power up.

I switched them off to change the steps on the dip switches and then switched them on again. I will try them again tomorrow when the computer is freshly booted up. I have a sneeking suspicion that the dip switches are labelled incorrectly as ivput 40 steps per mm in and it turned one rev when i told it to move 5mm which is correct, more investigation tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by totts View Post
    I have a sneeking suspicion that the dip switches are labelled incorrectly as ivput 40 steps per mm in and it turned one rev when i told it to move 5mm which is correct
    That sounds very likely to me and not the first time it's happened.!! . . . . I had a drive where all the switch's where reversed no wonder I'm folicly challenged. .

Lets just hope it is as easy as that, time will tell tomorrow. Fingers crossed for me :) thankyou for youre help, will be straight back on here if i have no luck :(

Quote Originally Posted by totts View Post
    Lets just hope it is as easy as that, time will tell tomorrow. Fingers crossed for me :) thankyou for youre help, will be straight back on here if i have no luck :(
    No come back and let us know anyway, always interesting to know and register in the dwindling memory banks for future reference.

Out of interest what drives are they.?

Yeh good to know for future reference, and they are the system 4 drives from roy i believe, im pretty sure he has them spot on and cannot fault him in any way! I know i should have gone for some beefed up electronics but these will do for now to get my teeth into diy cnc....ing

Sorted all done, the dip switches were different to what it says in the manual, running silky smooth now hah! At least it was simple :)

Thread Information