Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I think using 10mm pitch screws is more versatile since you always have the option for higher feedrates than you could get with 5mm pitch should you need it, at the expense of worse resolution of course.
Why does everyone assume you have to travel at warp speed, is it a dick slapping contest ?
Anyway when you are cutting unless you are doing simple carcase routing where all moves are straight and long the home stepper driven machine can never accelerate to these insane speeds everyone is bandying about.

Program a part to run at 2000 mm/min then watch the screen and read the actual feed-rates. No way does it get anywhere near this figure because it never get to speed before it has to perform the next line of code.

Now I could understand 10mm pitch screws if you were on servo's and production work but personally I'd much prefer working more slowly and accurately and get the job done whist the machine is under control, not be boreline running away, especially for a beginner, after all this IS a hobby forum isn't it ?