Hello, yet another new member. I'm a scratch build model maker, I create museum standard, 1/8th usually, models of classic racing cars fom the 50's, and 60's. I work with a small model maker's lathe, and mill, but I wish to start making parts via a cnc milling machine. Since I am now retired my budget is sad to say the least, proof that model making as a profession does not make you rich. AutoCAD is my preferred medium for creating drawings for the models, and I am well into turning all my 2D drawings into solids, and thence into .stl format. I had two items built up for me in wax via a SolidScape machine, and I realise that the granulation of the surface was so noticable that any castings would show the surface markings so badly that I would not be able to clean up without losing the profiles or shapes. So, I am now going down the subtractive machining route. I have no experience whatsoever in the use of a cnc mill, so please give me some latitude for stupidity. I have considered constructing a small mill, and to this end I have looked at all the methods, that is to say, extruded aluminium sections for a gantry type of mill, modification of an existing small mill, or the modification of one of the small educational mills that sometimes come on the market. I have to say that for the very small parameters that I need for cutting, would point to an educational type that has ballscrews, and may have all the electronics then gutted, allowing for the retro fit of a 4axis system. If anyone out there has any information that could point me in the right directions, I would be more than grateful; also, if I can likewise help anyone please ask.

Thanks.