. .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    For the vast majority of machines 3.1Nm motors are a good choice. If the machine is small enough to use smaller motors its hardly worth it as the cost saving is so small. Unless it's a big machine (towards 8x4 size) 3.1Nm nema24's are good. What size is the machine?
    not sur jonathon, think ive mentioned in earlier posts maybe 4 x4 to begin with... a starter... then progress... 4x6..what would be the limit ... could go 4.0nm but is that overkill.. mainly timber and mdf stock...

Can i just say this forum is awsome,,, so helpfull for us noobys so too speak not feeling like we are being talked down at by the people that know more than us... that has always been a pet hate of mine on some forums, infact when ive read some posts ive not even registered.. so thankyou all... especially jazz and jonathan..

Quote Originally Posted by crossleymarko View Post
    not sur jonathon, think ive mentioned in earlier posts maybe 4 x4 to begin with... a starter... then progress... 4x6..what would be the limit ... could go 4.0nm but is that overkill.. mainly timber and mdf stock...
    3.1Nm will be perfect for a 4x4 or 4x6 machine.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

sorry missread jonathon... so 3.1 is adequet.. for a 4x6 eventually.

lol... 3.1 it is then.... so future up grades up 8x4 maybe

Can i just say this forum is awsome,,, ... especially jazz and jonathan..
    Ye but Jonathan talks shite most the time. . . . . Nah Luv him really.

uhoh.... here comes your typical forum fall out...lol

mtv forum death match... via tapatalk...hahahaha...

uhoh.... here comes your typical forum fall out...lol
    No not at all he knows he has my utmost respect, I just like taking the piss at every opertunity. .

you see,,, different forum completly dude,,, just doin a water change on the kids

I'll mention this because Jonathan maybe didn't see you had 50V drives but these 3nm will be running slightly less than there ideal voltage.?

Because you have 50V Max drives then you'll need to run these motors with no more than absolute Max 48v and even thats on the high side. This is because the motors will produce current (back EMF) when de-accellerating which gets passed backdown thru the drives to the PSU, if the psu can't absorb this current then some can feed back at a much higher rate than 50v and damage the drives. sometimes esp with linear regulated type PSU's it can trip them out as they try to protect there circuits, thats why unregulated supplys are prefered.

So to be on the safeside you really need to be less than 48V or use a unregulated toroidal transformer supply which can handel the EMF much better.

Really if your looking to run 3nm and esp 4nm to there full potential they need much more voltage than 48V, 65/70v is much better for 3nm and 70/75V for 4nm so then you need drives that can handle 80V.

This is why I always say buy the drives/motors/psu after you have at least designed the machine. This way you can size them to suit.!

It's very common thou for eager new folks to rush out and buy drives/motors etc first it's also silly common for them to buy or be sold the wrong size PSU which doesn't match the drives or motors.!! I see far to meny 36V supplys bought with 50V drives and 3nm motors which want 60+ V to work to full potential. .

correct me if im wrong surly its like audio speakers etc.. why drive something to its max?
    so ie: 500w speakers would be comfortable at 200w.

so 50v drivers will be ok at 45v-48v.. i have read that 542 drivers are 50v max but:::: cappable of handleing 100v.. ill find the post,,,
    Last edited by crossleymarko; 14-04-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: v. lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information