. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I remember reading a post on here saying that for cutting plywood, it is best to use a very high feedrate and shallow but, with a single flute cutter.

There seems to be general recommendation of single flute cutters for general wood routing. Has anyone compared these to 'ripper' types? I've read that ripper bits eat up wood cuts, but how is the finish of the cut in comparison to a single flute mill?

I'm thinking about getting one of these at the bottom of the page - http://www.cutweltools.co.uk/files/w...%20carbide.pdf.

Probably just the same as it is in steel or aluminium.!!. . . . Inferior.

I could have actualy tried it for you with that exact cutter but I snapped the bleeding thing while cutting 3mm box section and wasn't impressed with my self.!! . . Woz Being greedy and lazy I should have known better. :redface-new:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I could have actualy tried it for you with that exact cutter but I snapped the bleeding thing while cutting 3mm box section and wasn't impressed with my self.!! . . Woz Being greedy and lazy I should have known better. :redface-new:
    So could I, except there's a 98kg sheet of aluminium waiting to be cut and somewhat in the way on my router at the moment!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

4. For low spec jobs I use cheap router bits from toolstation - it is only £1.20 a piece - worth to try
    I use 3 and 4mm for acrylic and mdf - if it brakes - no problem for this price it doesn't hurt at all. So far I have nothing to complain about them.

Quote Originally Posted by wiatroda View Post
    For low spec jobs I use cheap router bits from toolstation - it is only £1.20 a piece - worth to try
    I used to get those but they never lasted long and where nowhere near as fast as the 6mm single flute carbide cutters. Get yourself a few ... I guarantee you wont regret it. It's a HUGE difference.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Get yourself a few ... I guarantee you wont regret it. It's a HUGE difference.
    I got some carbides from chinese shop - not ebay- I don't remebmer shop or website name - it was somewhere on this forum - crap, crap , crap, they brake at acrylic or aluminium - I did try few sizes and was very disappointed. Then I decided to go to toolstation and I don't regret. So far I cut few sheets of acrylic 3 and 5mm thick and some 9 and 18 mm mdf from wickes with great success. I wouldn't pay at least 10x more for cutter to cut so low spec jobs.

The cheap 6mm SF 5 for £20 something quid of ebay are excellent and the don't break very easily. I've only broke 1 and that was trying to cut that really hard resin impregenated MDF in 1 pass 13.5mm DOC @ 7mtr/min after it had cutt countless jobs in Ali as well has 1 pass 10mm DOC @ 5mtr thru same resin MDF. It was well shagged and had every right to give up the ghost. . . . . IMO they are spot on and worthy every penny.

8. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The cheap 6mm SF 5 for £20 something quid of ebay are excellent and the don't break very easily. IMO they are spot on and worthy every penny.
    Jazz do you know the ebay auction to buy them from?? I must find the name of the shop of the crappy ones I bought from china-them ones which you wait for 1 month and they brake in 3 sec :/

HiltonSteve made a post in his build log on a few cutters and detailed his findings on each, he worked with ali but it maybe of intrest to you:

Link: http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...ll=1#post17636

.Me

I had some carbide cutters from china that broke easily and just wouldn't cut anything, but they were two flute.
    Just because one lot of cutters you get from China is bad doesn't mean the rest will be...

I've got 3mm,4mm,6mm and 8mm single flute cutters from the seller Jazz linked to and they've been great.

For instance:

...and that's nowhere near the limit of the cutter.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 15-04-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information