. .
    I am in the market for a decent "bench top" 240v cnc milling machine and software.

i would be grateful if anyone can recommend a make and model of something i could buy new or 2nd, hand that would be suitable for me to make parts mainly from aluminium , these are mainly motorcycle parts , brackets etc.

I will also need some cam software , i use solidworks for cad , do i need to fork out for solidcam, onecnc etc or are there others that are user friendly and that will work on other bigger machines that i may buy in the future.

Basically i dont want to go betamax when all the smart people went vhs.

steve.

First not taking software into account how much money are you looking to spend.?

Do you want a milling machine or gantry type router machine.? Big differences in both performance, cutting capabiltys and price.

Software then no you don't need solid cam or oneccn etc give Cambam a look it will do all what you need for just over £100.

thanks
    im in the up to £6000 bracket . but would ideally like to spend up to £3000

i have no experience with cnc or cam so does all the cam software automatically work out feed rates spindle speeds etc for the material and cutter used?

thanks steve

Quote Originally Posted by iamspuddy View Post
    im in the up to £6000 bracket . but would ideally like to spend up to £3000
    Ok then with 3K you are ok, 6K better still. By the sounds of it your wanting a real milling machine, yes I know you put milling at the the start but lots do that when they mean gantry router.
    Depending on the material size you want to cut then 3 to 5K will get you a pritty decent machine, if you want large cutting area then you better dig deeper.!

John S is the man really for these desktop milling machines so I suggest you give him shout or he may be along soon.!!

i have no experience with cnc or cam so does all the cam software automatically work out feed rates spindle speeds etc for the material and cutter used?
    Well yes and no really, What happens is each tool has it's own set of cutting data which either you program manualy according to tool manufactures settings or your own personal preferences and is then assigned a tool number IE T1. You do this only ounce and it's stored in a tool table so when you choose that tool the program knows all it's cutting data and programs the G-code accordingly.
    Some software will come with preset data for differant tool sizes but often the case you'll change this to suit your your own way of working and preference.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    what would help is knowing the work envelope, how much x,y and z do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    what would help is knowing the work envelope, how much x,y and z do you need?

i would guess 300mm x 100mm x 60 (fork bottom yoke ) would be the biggest at the moment

steve

Steve,
    The only turnkey machines in the UK are the Sieg ones sold by ARC Eurotrade in Leicester.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...lling-Machines

Failing that you are left with either finding an ex- education machine that has been converted to modern electronic or converting one yourself.

Last option is to buy a desktop machine and convert it yourself.

It's a general toss up of time, money, skills

Tormach in the States do a larger machine but by the time it's landed in this country it works out expensive, having said that a fair few people have thought it worth it and bought one.

HTH.
    John S -

thanks ,
    im off to the mach 2012 tomorrow to see what i cant have!!

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Here you go, a Denford Triac converted to Mach3 and ready to go. Unbeatable quality of construction, nothing can get near the quality of these machines, and pretty local for you.
    I also know of a fully enclosed case version around the same money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906661041...84.m1438.l2649

thanks ,
    im off to the mach 2012 tomorrow to see what i cant have!!
    Just got back, very depressed now that I have realised I'm bottom of the food chain..............
    Some impressive stuff but nothing at my cheque book level.
    John S -

Thread Information