. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post

thanks Mark just what i was looking for !!!! ( love the video ) WD40 mmmm lol

i have a 3040 router mill (chinese thing) thinking of upgrade the spindle its only got a 200w servomotor as a spindle could do with more grunt

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Hey Mark.....a very slick video - well done! I'm assuming that due to the amount of Bokeh you've played, that you used a DSLR?

Which editing package did you use?
    7D (Boken city... got to love it)
    Prem CS4 (bit twitchy but gets you there in the end)

Super video Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    thanks Mark just what i was looking for !!!! ( love the video ) WD40 mmmm lol

i have a 3040 router mill (chinese thing) thinking of upgrade the spindle its only got a 200w servomotor as a spindle could do with more grunt
    my large diy spindle motor will take 2000W, however, i run it on a 12v 350W power supply and have no issues with heat in the windings or speed controller getting silly.
    with it being an outrunner it has good tourque compared with inrunner type spindles

Found this spindle design suitable for smaller cutter sizes, replace the Brushless Motor Shaft with an ER11 spindle which will hold up to 7mm.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1175772&page=5

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh5045-...-p-404603.html

Last edited by ChrisG; 31-05-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Found sa very cheap motor to experiment with.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisG For This Useful Post:

Have you determined how to pulse the electronic driver for the DC brushless motor?
    It should be possible using a 555 timer chip.
    SH

Quote Originally Posted by sgcharrisoh View Post
    Have you determined how to pulse the electronic driver for the DC brushless motor?
    SH
    servo tester... £2 ish... ebay

Quote Originally Posted by sgcharrisoh View Post
    SH
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    servo tester... £2 ish... ebay

Connected to parallel port via PIC development board ... free ish...'acquired' from university.

When I get round to it I'll stick the code on a smaller PIC on a PCB as it's very simple to do and will cost <£1.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

You can get 10mm straight shaft ER chucks here.
    Results for Tool & Work Holding:ER Collet Chucks
    Very cheap tools to be had here.
    All (3) the electronic brush-less motor driver testers I have used startup in the midband when first plugged in. I have never found a site or a way to control these things where you can have them start at zero volts and then get ramped up from there using a computer.
    Mind you, it's been 4 years since I looked so there may be stuff out there that I don't know about. :-)
    It would be good if someone had a way of doing this.
    There are sites out there that show you how to make your own outrunner motor but the ones I have found are in German or Swedish and Google translator or babelfish don't do a very good job of converting technical lingo.
    You could make your own for whatever revs you need for your power supply. That would be nice for a small machine.

If you do make your own spindles for your outrunner motors then you could use the round tool steel blanks from the same site here.
    http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-...D-STEEL/Detail
    Lots of different sizes to choose from.
    The hardness/brittleness shouldn't be a problem for the power of these small motors.
    Last edited by baccus61; 04-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Hi All

I'm a newbie with a 7x10 lathe that I'm very slowly outfitting and converting to CNC. I am planning on building a tool post spindle to enable me to easily cut key-ways on shafts in my lathe. This thread has been a fantastic eye-opener.

I have purchased a 200KV outrunner motor with an 8mm shaft. It has a power rating of 2450 watts. IS THIS REAL?? At 50% efficiency this would be over 1 HORSEPOWER for a motor that I could hold in my hand.

Indeed if it is real, it is more powerful than the motor which drives my lathe!!

Puzzled,

Art99

Quote Originally Posted by baccus61 View Post
    You can get 10mm straight shaft ER chucks here.
    Results for Tool & Work Holding:ER Collet Chucks
    Very cheap tools to be had here.
    All (3) the electronic brush-less motor driver testers I have used startup in the midband when first plugged in. I have never found a site or a way to control these things where you can have them start at zero volts and then get ramped up from there using a computer.
    Mind you, it's been 4 years since I looked so there may be stuff out there that I don't know about. :-)
    It would be good if someone had a way of doing this.
    There are sites out there that show you how to make your own outrunner motor but the ones I have found are in German or Swedish and Google translator or babelfish don't do a very good job of converting technical lingo.
    You could make your own for whatever revs you need for your power supply. That would be nice for a small machine.

If you do make your own spindles for your outrunner motors then you could use the round tool steel blanks from the same site here.
    HSS TOOL BIT - ROUND STOCK - LENGTH 100MM (5 PCS) #H28
    Lots of different sizes to choose from.
    The hardness/brittleness shouldn't be a problem for the power of these small motors.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information