. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ah! A thing of beauty. Thanks Michael.

Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

I don't see anything at all? :(

Go back to the previous clip.
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Lovely shiney glitter can't beat it.!!!

Micheal try not to plung on entry to material, always spiral or ramp if possible. If you listen you can hear it snatching at the material on entry this will kill the cutter quickly and also knocks hell out the machine and spindle.
    If you can only plunge then what I do is make the first path a slow peck drill with the same cutter at the entry point to just less than the finish depth.! this is far less stressful on both machine and cutter.

Another thing I noticed was that it sounds like your using the same size cutter has the raduis in the corners.? I guess you probably drew a square and the corners where just rounded but this also kills cutters due to the fact for a split second it's cutting on 2 sides and again snatchs, Both blunting cutter edge and leaving a poor finish in the corner.?
    Seen has you can never have square corners with round cutter it's far Better to radius your corners and either use a slightly smaller cutter or make the radius slightly larger than cutter.

Oh yes, very nice!

Have you considered a Super-PID for the spindle? It seems like it would help a lot with metal cutting that needs high torque and lower speeds than wood. I haven't used one, but it looks very interesting.

http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Have you considered a Super-PID for the spindle? It seems like it would help a lot with metal cutting that needs high torque and lower speeds than wood. I haven't used one, but it looks very interesting.
    Super PID is for closed loop control of standard routers only. For someone cutting metal a standard router is a bad idea due to the rigidity - it wont last long. If you've already got a standard router, or a kress, then it's worth considering, but it's clearly better if you can afford to just get a proper 2.2kW spindle to start with.
    Mad Professor on here uses a Super-PID, but he's going to change to a 2.2kW spindle fairly soon.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

From the video I thought it was a standard router?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    From the video I thought it was a standard router?
    Yes that's a Kress in the video.

For aluminium with the small cutters Michael is using the speed will be >12000rpm (assuming carbide) anyway, so fine without PID control. Still I'd be looking at getting a 'proper' spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Still I'd be looking at getting a 'proper' spindle.
    But Micheal and very few of us have got £5,000 for a proper spindle so we all make do with the poor mans version.!! . . .Just some of us are proper proper skint so use poor mans, poor mans version. .

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    But Micheal and very few of us have got £5,000 for a proper spindle so we all make do with the poor mans version.!! . . .Just some of us are proper proper skint so use poor mans, poor mans version. .
    Yeah that's why I said 'proper' not proper, i.e. made in china. I couldn't really afford my 2.2kW spindle, it cost more than my milling machine! However I'm glad people on the forum persuaded me at the time that for what I wanted to do a Kress would have been a waste.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information