. .
    Hi
    I have just joined the group, and hope to learn enough to be able to bring a machine to life.
    I started out building a gantry type Engraver/miller using a 4' x 2' surface table as the bed and weldments for the arms and overhead track. collecting endless ballscrews, slides, steppers and obsolete drivers along the way. The engineering evening class closed after a guy released a machine vice onto his foot, so the project was abandonned.
    I have bought a Newing Hall Mill Grav machine with the Apex1 controller upgrade, from a local business which closed after 80 years trading. The machine had no software as the firms office had been the victim of an arson attack. I have downloaded the only program available from Newing Hall which appears to be only a job setting out program, they tell me this obsolete machine is no longer supported. I expected to be able to plug the machine into the serial port and at least jog it, no such luck!
    Does anyone have any experience or information as to what is needed to have the machine talk to a computer.
    I have a demo version of Mach3 but presumeably this would involve bypassing the Apex controller altogether.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Hi

My guess is that you will have to take out the obsolete controller etc and install something else. This is the best place to get good advice so take a seat, i am sure someone will be around to help you soon.

A picture and model details will be required.

bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Hi Mill Grav and welcome!

As Bruce mentioned, have you any pics of the bits in question? (If you have any problems uploading them, PM me) You'll find plenty of info about the conversion of various machines, some of which may be useful in getting a feel for what's involved.

If you are not going to go ahead with the unfinished project you mention, a posting about it in "Items for sale" might find someone ripping your arm off! (Possibly me!) :-)

Many thanks for response, I seem to remember another member having the same machine and getting a reply from someone familiar with them having worked on MillGravs previously I think from the Liverpool area.
    The controller is dated 07 the original controls having been removed so I think this should be fitted to several machines in the field.
    Mill Grav Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    Hi

My guess is that you will have to take out the obsolete controller etc and install something else. This is the best place to get good advice so take a seat, i am sure someone will be around to help you soon.

A picture and model details will be required.

bruce

Thread Information