. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi there,

I'm a little lady in London. I'm a professional modelmaker and metalwork enthusiast. I've also got myself into a bit of a catch 22 situation...

For the past few months I've been sculpting some detailed brass mould inserts with a view to 3d engraving them on a milling machine I have access to. They are approximately 100mm x 80mm x 12mm each and there are 12 of them.

As they are scupltures they are in the form of stl files. I've just found out that not only does the milling machine only work from IGES files, but it's also not fast enough to do the engraving.

The stl file is too detailed to convert to IGES, so I'm hoping to find someone who would be in a position to engrave the inserts with a cnc router/ engraver.

As I was planning on doing this myself I didn't really have a budget for it, so I can only put together a few hundred pounds.

It's a really interesting project so I really want to finish it. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Hello Little Lady.!!. . . . Lets see the files to see how detailed.?

Creep.............
    John S -

Careful he owns a brown mac too......
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Careful he owns a brown mac too......
    No but I do have brown stained overall if that does it for ya.!! .

LOL!...Always knew he was scary
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

OO he's a right smooth talker
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Hello Boys!

I know it's not everyday you come across a woman who knows what to do with a wobbler, but let's try to stick to the engraving shall we ;-)

The mould is basically for some little characters I've sculpted. Mr Jazzycnc, I'll send you a PM of what it looks like as I feel a bit akward about displaying my own artwork. Because of the way I've created the figures the mould looks very detailed, but I don't expect to machine such a high level of detail. I've got a little sample mould file of a small bit of it and I'm hoping someone can do a test for me and run an engraving bit over it.

It seems like a fairly straightforward thing to do, but you wouldn't believe how difficult it's been to find someone to do it.

If someone is prepared to try it for me I could offer cash or my modelmaking services in exchange...PM me for details.

Thanks you!

Update: A couple of people have very kindly offered to look at my files, which I'll send in a mo. We'll see how we go with producing a sample and I'll post an update to follow up.

I'm truely touched by people's friendliness :-)

Well, time has passed and I've finally finished my 3d relief files. As always, 3d drawing takes longer than you think....

Unfortunately, the couple of people who contacted me before have been unable to help so I'm throwing it back out there.

If anyone has the capability to 3d engrave brass/aluminium from an stl file then please do get in touch. I have the files and cash waiting and would even be prepared to go into partnership with someone with the necessary facilities.

Fingers crossed (again!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information