. .

View Poll Results: in which age group are you?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 21

8 3.40%
  • 21 - 30

30 12.77%
  • 31 - 40

34 14.47%
  • 41 - 50

64 27.23%
  • 51 - 60

53 22.55%
  • over 60

41 17.45%
  • Immortal soul of a shamen deity

5 2.13%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    hahaha!!!.... its a real shame.... you could put a leash on him, take him shopping and i swear you would get sraight to the front of the cue and get everything half price :)
    Why do you think I took him to harrogate show with me. . . . Lol . . . . . . . . . (Soz Andy mate couldn't resist.)

Thats strange, I heard he took you just so he would get the birds
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Thanks for the kind words guy's !!!!!
    It's a good job I'm thick skinned as well as pig ugly

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Thanks for the kind words guy's !!!!!
    It's a good job I'm thick skinned as well as pig ugly
    Ye but it's these things that make you all the more special Andy. .. . . . . . . .. (Shame it's special needs like. )

5. You know IF someone who did not understand Brit humor read this they would seriously think there was a good bit taking the P out of folk on this board. Lucky for us, most on this board know better. The more you are harassed the more often you are well liked (though a few will take the P just to do so).

Looks like it is mostly us mid of the road folks on here by the poll as it where. Getting back to what the thread is about (oh, no).

Take care folks.

Michael

wow theres alot of people in the 40's+ ranges.. as a relatively young member here (29) could i ask what brings the older folks here and i'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand why at 40/50/60 some people would go down the route of cnc...

do some of you use home made cnc to run a business or is it all just hobby work?

7. Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    wow theres alot of people in the 40's+ ranges.. as a relatively young member here (29) could i ask what brings the older folks here and i'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand why at 40/50/60 some people would go down the route of cnc...

do some of you use home made cnc to run a business or is it all just hobby work?
    A lot of the people on here use CNC at work, not necessarily home-made. There is a fair x-over of hobby and commercial users, though sometimes it is hard to tell which is which. At least 3 or 4 of the main players run their own engineering businesses or businesses in which CNC machining or other similar tooling plays a large part. And then there are those like myself for which it is an adjunct to other hobbies - a means of getting stuff made quickly and effectively... and then there's the group of would be entrepreneurs who hope that CNC will make them money in small cabinetry or other wood-working and/or metal working start-ups. Its not entirely clear how successful those are, or indeed where the transition from hobby to a real business is.

TBH, I'm not sure that age makes a difference in any of those...

I've been working in cnc land for closing on 20 years now. Worked for one of the major players in the profiling game but went back to the maintenance side of things when the travelling got too much. Now work for a large ship builder on maintenance and repair and service some of the stuff from the company I used to work for along with stuff from some of the other big names in the business.
    I had been looking around the web looking at cnc machines one day and started seeing the "home built" ones and thought "I can do that" so I did and ended up here. Skint now.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    started seeing the "home built" ones and thought "I can do that" so I did
    Thats exactly what I did.

To be honest I help loads of DIY people and out of them the ones that succeed and progress the best and often fastest are the 35+ age group.
    Like this Poll shows there are more of them as well.!!. . . I'd say 75% I deal with are over 40. Personally I belive this is because they are not full of Arrogance with know-it-all attitudes so don't mind asking for assistance or help.? . . .What I do know for sure is they are 90% the time the ones cutting first with least mechanical issue's.!!

I must admit that at 60 I can see the attraction of 40 winks after lunch, but I'm not quite ready to be put out to pasture yet...

OTOH, if someone wants to put me out to stud then I will happily hand over a full order book to the younger generation

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information