. .

View Poll Results: in which age group are you?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 21

8 3.40%
  • 21 - 30

30 12.77%
  • 31 - 40

34 14.47%
  • 41 - 50

64 27.23%
  • 51 - 60

53 22.55%
  • over 60

41 17.45%
  • Immortal soul of a shamen deity

5 2.13%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    thanks for the interesting replies.. it's nice to see other peoples backgrounds.

jazz i will prove your over 35 rule wrong though... i'll ask every single question i can think of as i dont want to build a machine that i will be re-doing and replacing things on due to not listening or not asking.. hence my previous post about ballscrews.

i'm on quite a strict budget for my machine which i know i will bust, but if i can get 75% of the way and start having something to show for it i think my other half will forgive me for going over and let me spend the rest, my initial thoughts were to go for one of them mdf jobbies where you pay $25 for the plans, but through reading all your wonderfull threads and arguements ect, i've decided to ditch the mdf framing for alu extru more than likely and i've ditched the idea of threaded rod for ballscrews...

anyway back on topic, i didnt even consider that most people here would be those age group because i am used to being on a car audio forum where most people are sub 30's certainly sub 40's so i just presumed it would be the same here. i also had it in my head everyone would be small time hobby guys doing this to speed up and add accuracy and more complex shapes than could be achieved with a hand router.

"i dont want to build a machine that i will be re-doing and replacing things on -snip- i'm on quite a strict budget for my machine..."

:-)

That's how it starts... I'll just have the one machine... next thing you know you ditch the plans for MDF and go for extruded alloy, then you cant live without profiled rails and the surprised look on your face as the sun comes up becomes a permament fixture!

Get out now before it's too late. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

If anyone asks you "Do you want some CNC?" Just say NO!

My name is Mocha and I'm addicted.

(great fun though...)

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    i also had it in my head everyone would be small time hobby guys doing this to speed up and add accuracy and more complex shapes than could be achieved with a hand router.
    He he ye it starts that way then before you know it you've moved on V2 then V3 V4 etc then before you know it you've done something really crazy like I've just gone and done today and bought something very much like this just slightly smaller.!! .. but not much smaller.??.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGm3H9_cTM

Good Job I'm divorced already because this would be real hard to defend in divorce court. .

Edit: How the F@~& do I embed youtube vid.?

that machine looks awesome.... guess i know who to come to when i want my side plates for Z and X machining

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    that machine looks awesome.... guess i know who to come to when i want my side plates for Z and X machining
    No not for a long time yet.!! . . . It's in pieces and will take me a many many months if not years to get back up working. I'm flat out anyway and struggling already with time so I won't be able to even look in it's direction for months. .

fortunately it was a joke :D

Wilfy,
    all you need now is one of Jazz's "I love cnc" T shirts to become a convert.

8. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    No not for a long time yet.!! . . . It's in pieces and will take me a many many months if not years to get back up working. I'm flat out anyway and struggling already with time so I won't be able to even look in it's direction for months. .
    Must have been an absolute bargain then to have considered it... or is this part of your long term plan for world domination

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Must have been an absolute bargain then to have considered it... or is this part of your long term plan for world domination
    Irving the only Domination happening is over my floor space.!! The workshops going to need a 2 story extension.!!!! . . . What Have I done.

It's not actually that machine or make and it's slightly smaller but works identical regards long Z axis and C & A axis. It's actually bit stronger built than this machine in that it doesn't have a moving gantry.? X Axis runs directly on the roof of the machine main frame which is one big massive frame and the Y axis is a moving table. The ATC works just the same coming out the side.
    It's custom built machine with very high spec in it's day(and even by today's standards it's up there.!) made by company called JOBS and started it's life at the Mclaren F1 factory before moving to Rover.!! ( Figures.? Technology moving down the food chain with age. .Lol)

Regards bargain lets just say if the machine was working it would pay for it's self in 3 hours.!! . . and that would include running costs. .

It will in all probability be well over a year and probably more before it's working again.? (If at all). . . Even then it may not go back to it's former glory and end up a 3 axis for reason I'll explain later.?

When I actually get it I intend to put up a build or RE-build LOG on a forum so you will be able to see it either come back to life or get broke up for it's high quality components.? . . . . Thou don't hold your breath because I've got other commitments I must finish and get out the way before I even dare look in this machines direction and at the rate life's been throwing shit at me latley then it will be along time before looking.!! (Hopefully dropping on this the tides turning and somebody's certainly be looking down on me.)

Now suppose I better get back to work so I can start playing sooner.!

10. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Irving the only Domination happening is over my floor space.!! The workshops going to need a 2 story extension.!!!! . . . What Have I done.
    And there's me wondering if its worth spending money on a 6m x 3.5m block-built workshop in the back garden to house my lathe/mill/workbench and bikes so we can convert the garage for SWMBO...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information