thanks for the interesting replies.. it's nice to see other peoples backgrounds.

jazz i will prove your over 35 rule wrong though... i'll ask every single question i can think of as i dont want to build a machine that i will be re-doing and replacing things on due to not listening or not asking.. hence my previous post about ballscrews.

i'm on quite a strict budget for my machine which i know i will bust, but if i can get 75% of the way and start having something to show for it i think my other half will forgive me for going over and let me spend the rest, my initial thoughts were to go for one of them mdf jobbies where you pay $25 for the plans, but through reading all your wonderfull threads and arguements ect, i've decided to ditch the mdf framing for alu extru more than likely and i've ditched the idea of threaded rod for ballscrews...

anyway back on topic, i didnt even consider that most people here would be those age group because i am used to being on a car audio forum where most people are sub 30's certainly sub 40's so i just presumed it would be the same here. i also had it in my head everyone would be small time hobby guys doing this to speed up and add accuracy and more complex shapes than could be achieved with a hand router.