. .

Thread: Vacuum Tables

I noticed that someone is selling a mill with a vacuum table.

I have seen one of these in action on multiple MDF sheets in a big woodworking shop.
    The suction was awesome.

Does anyone else use one ?

58 Views and not a single comment !!

3. I have a Vac Pump brand new siemens 2.2kw jobbie i was going to add to my cnc machine but never got round to it, plus the cost of the tufnol was a bit of a setback.

Dont think many people on here have had much to do with this area of the cnc world as of yet, but its always something i have been interested in also.

So what were you going to use the tufnol for?

I'm trying to get my head around the whole thing.
    Seems that you have a load of holes drilled in an ali sheet and you attach the vacuum pipes to that. Lay the work on top and it gets held down. (roughly).

I have seen a big set up and as I remember it that had buttons to sense when the job was covering that particular spot and only allowed the vacuum on that particular spot.

So how does a small one work? there are a few in action on you tube but no idiots guide :-(

Quote Originally Posted by AdCNC View Post
    I have a Vac Pump brand new siemens 2.2kw jobbie i was going to add to my cnc machine but never got round to it, plus the cost of the tufnol was a bit of a setback.

Dont think many people on here have had much to do with this area of the cnc world as of yet, but its always something i have been interested in also.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've not used one, but I have previously read a few threads about them in various places, and the basis involves a working table with a grid of holes and/or slots.

Place what you're working with onto the table, then block as many of the holes/slots that the work doesn't cover. This can be done simply with scraps, or via more elaborate methods, such as plugs for the holes, or valves that cut of vacuum to specific parts of the table.

The most interesting method I seen though, was to have the above grid, but cover the entire thing with a sheet of MDF. The MDF is porous enough let the vacuum through and hold down quite alot of things without needing to worry about blocking areas, and is sacrificial so that if you do have any cutter/table incidents, you can just replace it. I can't remember where I seen that discussion though!

i assumed it was a balance between hole size (and quantity) and vacuum pump
    with all the holes clear your pump needs to maintain at least some degree of vacuum... if it doesnt then your holes are to big or your pump to weak... no need to cover any holes

not sure if that would have the volume (unless you use tiny holes)

iv heard of some using standard vacuum cleaners... large holes plenty of leak to stop the motor over heating
    it probably makes more sense to have a seperaite intake with a valve to tune out any lack of circulation
    ...hovers are cheap :)

chris, did you see this nice one in CIMBIAN's thread?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0960.jpg 
Views:	6276 
Size:	331.9 KB 
ID:	5943

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    chris, did you see this nice one in CIMBIAN's thread?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0960.jpg 
Views:	6276 
Size:	331.9 KB 
ID:	5943
    I did but I didn't want to pile in on his sales thread with loads of questions.

Thread Information