. .
Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    If you want to make sure all the voids are filled then try using an orbital sander against the box to work like a vibro rod. Just put a bit at a time in and vibrate the hell out of it.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I wouldn't bother with resin it's messy and expensive.!!. . . . . . If you need to dampen Just use kiln dried sand It's cheap and nothing works better at damping resonance.
    Build in a drain hole has well a fill hole and you can easily remove when need to move machine around.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Polyester isn't suitable because it shrinks too much apparently, I would refer you to the exact part of the epic thread on cnczone where that is discussed but I'm not reading that bloody thing again!
    Surely that's because they're discussing using it for making bearing surfaces, where clearly the dimensional tolerances are critical. Does it really matter here if it shrinks a bit...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Surely that's because they're discussing using it for making bearing surfaces, where clearly the dimensional tolerances are critical. Does it really matter here if it shrinks a bit...
    I'm not sure tbh, if you have a solid, shrunken lump inside of a steel box surely most of the vibration will just stay in the steel and not pass into the EG, the steel beam would also deform like normal steel until it made cotact with the EG beam?
    This is why someone really needs to part with some cash and do some directly comparable real world tests...

5. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revised 80x80x3 frame.jpg 
Views:	1097 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	8539

Revised 80x80x3 SHS frame - brings the cost down quite a bit. 6mm plate and/or welded connections...

6. Just been going through the whole of your thread, its given me some good info for my design/build....where are you at with it now?

7. I have have had a set of cutting/drilling/tapping drawings done for the frame for ages but for one reason or another have not started building the frame yet. I have the mighty Rage 2 now so will be ordering the steel in the next week or so. I've also been collecting some of the other tools I'm going to need, got a precision 1m rule, couple of engineers squares, caliper etc etc

Really want to get on with it!

8. Ah - I can imagine that takes a while to accumulate...my workshop has been getting more & more cluttered with that kind of stuff for the last couple of years :-p
    Looking forward to seeing some progress ;-)

9. Just ordered me some steel... About time!

Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread Information