. .
Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    If it makes you happy Joe
    Ha! Can't afford the controller yet so it will have to!

2. Hi everyone, I have uploaded the next episode of my build, not that exciting this time just making holes in gland plates! I'm working on the ali angle that supports the cable chain next...

3. Woohoo! Thanks Gary! My IP-M has arrived.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    They look good, don't they! But just wait until you start wiring the bottom row of terminals right next to the cable guides. I was really glad at that point to have used crimp-on ferrules as they gave you something to get hold of with tweezers while guiding wires into place, and without the risk of odd stray shorting strands. Using differential wiring to the stepper drivers?

Out of interest, how will you run the ethernet cable out of the box? I ended up using a bulkhead ethernet connector which effectively sits inside an XLR connector shell. Standard RJ45 inside but protection and latching of XLR. Means that I can disconnect all cables from cabinet very easily without trailing wires, but everyone has their own way of doing things.

5. Yes I have ferrules and they are great as you say.

I was planning on using cy cable for the connections with one side of the shield connected to the star earth.

Is this the kind of rj45 connector you mean https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152664475439

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I used something more like this although I can't remember now where I bought it. This is the panel-mounting socket, and you can get a matching XLR plug shell that takes a standard RJ45 cable and connector. Beware - some of these go on the cable before the RJ45 connector is fitted and some can go on to existing ready-made cables. My steppers plug into the box via 4-pin XLR connectors so these match.

In my control box, I used UTP cable between IP-M and stepper drivers to get the benefit of twisted pair cabling with differential signalling. UTP gives you 4 pairs, so I used one cable for two stepper drivers. The twisted pair is possibly more effective than CY screening for noise rejection, along with the IP-M's capability of differential output. Well, it works for me, but on this forum you only have to wait a few more minutes for an expert to come along!
    Last edited by Neale; 30-08-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Well, it works for me, but on this forum you only have to wait a few more minutes for an expert to come along!
    I just could not resist But I am not that one. I use a very similar bulkhead fitting like yours and also 4 pin XLR's for the steppers. Although is is easier to wire the steppers direct to the drives.

Edit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/17212...6243387&crdt=0
    Last edited by Clive S; 30-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Although is is easier to wire the steppers direct to the drives.
    Certainly true! My first version did exactly that. I then found that I was going to need to take the cabinet out of the machine several times during testing and development, and I ended up changing to XLR just for ease of use. I had the connectors from my previous machine anyway. My cabinet has only one cable going out through a gland and that's the mains cable, so it can completely detach from the machine itself if needed. Of course, the experts get it right first time so never need to disconnect anything thereafter!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Excellent build Joe read the whole thread from beginning to end yesterday! The PSU bit is a real god send to me right now as building my own and you really helped demystify it for me, thanks ;)

I have a quick question what thickness Red/black wire do I need to get to connect from the rectifier to the capacitors then to the output?

Also where did you get those terminal blocks I could only find them in China or America although I found a suitable replacement I think with barrier terminal blocks.
    https://www.rapidonline.com/truconne...-block-21-3073

Thanks
    Desertboy
    Last edited by Desertboy; 06-09-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

11. Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    Excellent build Joe, the PSU bit is a real god send to me right now as building my own and you really helped demystify it for me, thanks ;)

I have a quick question what thickness Red/black wire do I need to get to connect from the rectifier to the capacitors then to the output?

Thanks
    Desertboy
    Glad it helped - I was pretty scared of this part of the build!! Clive and Dean were super helpful as usual. I think I used 2.5mm tri-rated, I'll try and remember to check for you when I get home.

Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread Information