. .
Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You can wire in them series with the e-stops, however you have to give some thought as to how you get the drives back out of alarm, if your e-stop system is also killing power to the drives.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 7 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    It all gets just a bit more complicated than this. One issue is that you have your stepper drivers powered on by the safety relay. That means that the fault outputs on the drivers are the equivalent of open circuit, as they are unpowered until you have energised the safety relay. However, if you wire the fault outputs in series with the e-stop switches (p9 in the CSMIO manual shows this) then you can't activate the safety relay as it thinks that an e-stop condition exists (via the driver fault outputs) but you can't turn those on until you have put power on the drivers. Catch-22.

I have virtually the same setup as yours - Pilz safety relay (different model, but that's not important), CSMIO, digital drivers (mine are EM806 not AM882 but again no practical difference for this purpose) and power to stepper driver PSU controlled by relay controlled by safety relay. What I have done is:

safety relay uses three contacts - two of the N/O and one N/C. One N/O contact switches 24V to pin 1 on CSMIO, configured as "e-stop". This puts the CSMIO into e-stop mode when the safety relay is off. One N/O contact switches 24V to the stepper driver PSU relay (like you have done). So, no power to motors unless safety relay is on. The N/C contact switches 5V to the enable inputs on the drivers. With the relay off, this disables the drivers. Once the relay is energised, 5V is removed and the drives are enabled. So, when you hit e-stop, you remove power from the steppers, tell the CSMIO to go into e-stop, and disable the drivers.

To get round the problems with the fault signal from the drivers, I take these in parallel directly to the CSMIO, pin 2, configured as "Drive Fault". The CSMIO monitors this input specifically for this kind of situation and processes the signal without needing to talk to Mach3. I do this by taking 24V to the + side of the fault connections (all in parallel) and the - sides to the CSMIO, so when a fault occurs the internal "switch" closes, puts 24V on the CSMIO pin. The corresponding CSMIO pin 15 is taken to ground.

All I can say is, it all works! On a stall signal, the CSMIO stops the machine immediately via its own firmware. However, the safety relay is still energised. To get the driver(s) out of the fault condition, I hit e-stop which removes power, then hit reset to re-energise the relay and hence everything else. After a stall, you are going to need to rehome anyway, which is what Mach3 makes you do after an e-stop.

I did consider reprogramming the EM806 (and you can do the same with the AM882, I believe) to change the sense of the fault output, so in effect the "switches" on the fault output were closed for normal operation instead of open. However, you still have the problem that you have to keep the drivers powered because otherwise the fault outputs look like open switches. I took the easy route of keeping them programmed as the default, so they "close" on a fault. I have them wired in parallel so any fault output takes the CSMIO pin to 24V. At the cost of more complication, I could run the fault signals into the safety relay and in principle this would be slightly more fault-tolerant, but I accept the compromise.

My main power switch operates on all power coming in to the box. I turn that on at the start of a session and don't touch it again. I have reset and e-stop switches on the box, plus two e-stops around the machine. The safety relay does the job of resetting the drivers via the driver PSU, as explained above. I don't have a separate power switch for the driver PSU.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

4. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    It all gets just a bit more complicated than this. One issue is that you have your stepper drivers powered on by the safety relay. That means that the fault outputs on the drivers are the equivalent of open circuit, as they are unpowered until you have energised the safety relay. However, if you wire the fault outputs in series with the e-stop switches (p9 in the CSMIO manual shows this) then you can't activate the safety relay as it thinks that an e-stop condition exists (via the driver fault outputs) but you can't turn those on until you have put power on the drivers. Catch-22.

I have virtually the same setup as yours - Pilz safety relay (different model, but that's not important), CSMIO, digital drivers (mine are EM806 not AM882 but again no practical difference for this purpose) and power to stepper driver PSU controlled by relay controlled by safety relay. What I have done is:

safety relay uses three contacts - two of the N/O and one N/C. One N/O contact switches 24V to pin 1 on CSMIO, configured as "e-stop". This puts the CSMIO into e-stop mode when the safety relay is off. One N/O contact switches 24V to the stepper driver PSU relay (like you have done). So, no power to motors unless safety relay is on. The N/C contact switches 5V to the enable inputs on the drivers. With the relay off, this disables the drivers. Once the relay is energised, 5V is removed and the drives are enabled. So, when you hit e-stop, you remove power from the steppers, tell the CSMIO to go into e-stop, and disable the drivers.

To get round the problems with the fault signal from the drivers, I take these in parallel directly to the CSMIO, pin 2, configured as "Drive Fault". The CSMIO monitors this input specifically for this kind of situation and processes the signal without needing to talk to Mach3. I do this by taking 24V to the + side of the fault connections (all in parallel) and the - sides to the CSMIO, so when a fault occurs the internal "switch" closes, puts 24V on the CSMIO pin. The corresponding CSMIO pin 15 is taken to ground.

All I can say is, it all works! On a stall signal, the CSMIO stops the machine immediately via its own firmware. However, the safety relay is still energised. To get the driver(s) out of the fault condition, I hit e-stop which removes power, then hit reset to re-energise the relay and hence everything else. After a stall, you are going to need to rehome anyway, which is what Mach3 makes you do after an e-stop.

I did consider reprogramming the EM806 (and you can do the same with the AM882, I believe) to change the sense of the fault output, so in effect the "switches" on the fault output were closed for normal operation instead of open. However, you still have the problem that you have to keep the drivers powered because otherwise the fault outputs look like open switches. I took the easy route of keeping them programmed as the default, so they "close" on a fault. I have them wired in parallel so any fault output takes the CSMIO pin to 24V. At the cost of more complication, I could run the fault signals into the safety relay and in principle this would be slightly more fault-tolerant, but I accept the compromise.

My main power switch operates on all power coming in to the box. I turn that on at the start of a session and don't touch it again. I have reset and e-stop switches on the box, plus two e-stops around the machine. The safety relay does the job of resetting the drivers via the driver PSU, as explained above. I don't have a separate power switch for the driver PSU.
    Thanks for this explanation - I am going to try and draw it out so I can understand then I'll come back as it will take a bit of digestion (I don't have a background in electronics or computers so the learning curve is quite steep!!) ps. is it necessary to disable the drivers if you are also cutting power to them? Belt and braces?!
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 24-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 7 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Happy to answer questions on it, but drawing it out and thinking through the logic will help. Sorry I don't have any wiring diagrams to post but I did it all on the fly, with just a few notes on which CSMIO pin does what. Not a recommended approach
    Last edited by Neale; 24-10-2017 at 08:56 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

7. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Happy to answer questions on it, but drawing it out and thinking through the logic will help. Sorry I don't have any wiring diagrams to post but I did it all on the fly, with just a few notes on which CSMIO pin does what. Not a recommended approach
    Ok so I'm a little bit confused because apart from integrating the estop pins on the CSMIO [+24v, to Pilz NO, to CSMIO pin 1, then from CSMIO pin 14, to 0v on 24v PSU] this looks to be pretty well the setup I had originally?? Albeit using three fault pins on the CSMIO rather than one [+24v, to AM882 drive ALM+, then from ALM-, to CSMIO digital input pins 8,9,10, then from CSMIO pins 21,22,23, to 0v on 24v PSU] Have I got this right?!
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 25-10-2017 at 12:05 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Ok so I'm a little bit confused because apart from integrating the estop pins on the CSMIO [+24v, to Pilz NO, to CSMIO pin 1, then from CSMIO pin 14, to 0v on 24v PSU] this looks to be pretty well the setup I had originally?? Albeit using three fault pins on the CSMIO rather than one [+24v, to AM882 drive ALM+, then from ALM-, to CSMIO digital input pins 8,9,10, then from CSMIO pins 21,22,23, to 0v on 24v PSU] Have I got this right?!
    Just drawn it out as I understand it... have I got this right??

Bugger, just noticed I forgot to show pin 14 connected to 0V
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 25-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Basically, that looks fine (once pin 14 is connected!) Main problem, which is the thing I noticed when I looked at your first diagram, is the use of three inputs on the CSMIO for fault inputs from the drivers. I'm not sure that you can configure the CSMIO to do that. The CSMIO can be configured to have one "drive fault" input; it monitors this pin and will stop the machine if it sees a fault. So you need to take all the fault inputs into the same pin. Because of the way the fault signals work, wiring them in parallel like this is fine. In my case, all the driver fault "-" pins go to CSMIO pin 2; the driver fault "+" pins go to +24V (as you have them) and obviously you need to take CSMIO pin 15 to ground.

I'm sorry if I confused things a bit; I had in mind that you could wire the fault signals in series with the e-stop switches (as shown in the CSMIO manual). However, I had forgotten that when I looked at doing this, it wasn't going to work easily for various reasons so I went back to the scheme broadly that you have, with the modification I have explained above - which actually simplifies wiring a bit as you can take each fault connection on the drivers to the adjacent driver and then one wire to the CSMIO.

One thing to bear in mind is that you have to be able to clear the driver fault. Easiest way is to remove and re-apply power and you can do this on your machine by hitting e-stop or by switching off power to the driver psu as you have a switch to do this. I think that the CSMIO tells Mach3 that an e-stop has happened on a driver fault anyway, though.
    Last edited by Neale; 25-10-2017 at 08:11 AM.

10. Thanks I think I'm clear, so did you just take three wires, one from each driver ALM+ and twist them together in one ferrule at pin 2 on the CSMIO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Thanks I think I'm clear, so did you just take three wires, one from each driver ALM+ and twist them together in one ferrule at pin 2 on the CSMIO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, I took a wire from the first driver to the second, wire from second to third, etc, then to the CSMIO. Where two wires went to a single pin, I fitted them to one ferrule. Easy job.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    No, I took a wire from the first driver to the second, wire from second to third, etc, then to the CSMIO. Where two wires went to a single pin, I fitted them to one ferrule. Easy job.
    Like this?

Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread Information