. .
Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by john swift View Post
    I think you will find the switch is more like this :-

Attachment 23112

John
    Good one John, this is the switch I'm using but you can't see the innards. Cheers

2. Thanks for all the comments and corrections. I have now redrawn the 'CSMIO Digital Inputs' diagram as one sketch incorporating all (I think) the comments.

Joe,

couple more comments!

Main one is that you have two LED indicator lamps wired in series off the 24V supply, switched by the safety relay. I'm assuming that these are both 24V LED lamps. Ideally, you should have them wired in parallel rather than series. That is, take the wire from the safety relay to both lamps, and a wire from ground to both lamps. They will probably work the way you have them but won't be at full brightness.

The other point is about the switch to the stepper PSU. What I have done on my machine is take a 24V feed from one of the safety relay contacts (in fact, the one that feeds the panel lamps as above) to the PSU. In your case, if you like, you could take this via the switch as well (my machine does not have a switch in this position). Your system will work OK, but the way I have it, if you hit an e-stop then not only do you signal the CSMIO via the e-stop digital input pin, you also remove power from the steppers. Actually, I also use the N/C contact to supply 5V to the enable inputs on the stepper drivers as well; with the safety relay de-energised, this effectively disables the stepper drivers. So, on e-stop, you tell the CSMIO to stop sending pulses, you remove power from the drivers, and you also disable the drivers explicitly. You might not want to bother with the last point here, but taking the 24V from the safety relay would be a trivial change on your diagram and adds a small (although probably unnecessary) additional safety factor.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Joe,

couple more comments!

Main one is that you have two LED indicator lamps wired in series off the 24V supply, switched by the safety relay. I'm assuming that these are both 24V LED lamps. Ideally, you should have them wired in parallel rather than series. That is, take the wire from the safety relay to both lamps, and a wire from ground to both lamps. They will probably work the way you have them but won't be at full brightness.

The other point is about the switch to the stepper PSU. What I have done on my machine is take a 24V feed from one of the safety relay contacts (in fact, the one that feeds the panel lamps as above) to the PSU. In your case, if you like, you could take this via the switch as well (my machine does not have a switch in this position). Your system will work OK, but the way I have it, if you hit an e-stop then not only do you signal the CSMIO via the e-stop digital input pin, you also remove power from the steppers. Actually, I also use the N/C contact to supply 5V to the enable inputs on the stepper drivers as well; with the safety relay de-energised, this effectively disables the stepper drivers. So, on e-stop, you tell the CSMIO to stop sending pulses, you remove power from the drivers, and you also disable the drivers explicitly. You might not want to bother with the last point here, but taking the 24V from the safety relay would be a trivial change on your diagram and adds a small (although probably unnecessary) additional safety factor.
    Appreciate the help! I was actually away last week - hence the hand drawn diagrams and had totally messed that bit up! Just amended it which naught make a bit more sense.

5. In connecting the home proximity switches I have chosen the following method for connecting the cy cable shield to the star ground in the cabinet.

I have four core cy cable, one of which is green/yellow the other three black. The black ones I am using for the three prox cables, the green/yellow I have cut off but reused by twisting and soldering together with the shield fibres. I have then put some heat shrink around it and so have three wires to go to +24v, 0v and the CSMIO home input plus the green/yellow which runs to the star ground. Some pictures below to illustrate. I have done one so far, any comments before I do any more?!!?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeHarris For This Useful Post:

I reckon that will be OK. I run my limit switches differently; one cable from the control box carries +24V and ground (along with something else I forget) and another carries all four limit/home switch connections (2 for X). I take the screens to the star ground. I haven't found any noise problems at all, which is the main concern, but as you are using 24V signalling rather than 5V as with many BOBs, you have a lot more intrinsic noise rejection anyway. Will you be able to run your stepper motor cables away from the signal cables? Having said which, again on my machine, the stepper motor cables, limit switch cables, and spindle motor cables all run through the same cable chains. They are all CY cable. I've tried to separate the motor cables from the others by putting the cooling water pipes between them, but again, no problems found with that setup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

9. Do any CSMIO IPM users out there know whether the CAN Terminator supplied should be connected to the expansion module terminal if not used? If not, what is it for?!
    also do the power supply pins 9 and 22 on the step/Dir connector need to be connect direct to +24v and 0v on the psu? So worried I'm going to fry this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JoeHarris; 05-11-2017 at 12:48 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeHarris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Do any CSMIO IPM users out there know whether the CAN Terminator supplied should be connected to the expansion module terminal if not used? If not, what is it for?!
    also do the power supply pins 9 and 22 on the step/Dir connector need to be connect direct to +24v and 0v on the psu? So worried I'm going to fry this thing!
    I have to say that I can't even remember having a CAN terminator! I doubt that it is needed if you are not using CANbus, though. I think you need it if you use expansion modules. You can daisy-chain these modules together, each connecting to the next. The last one then needs a terminator for the CANbus to work properly.

Are you planning to use the digital outputs 0-3? If you are, then you need to connect 24V to the + and- as shown. If you are not using them, you don't need to connect power to those pins. As I remember, you use one of the relay outputs to switch the VFD and they don't need this extra PSU connection. You could use the digital outputs for things like switching coolant on/off, although personally I don't bother and use a manual switch.
    Last edited by Neale; 05-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I have to say that I can't even remember having a CAN terminator! I doubt that it is needed if you are not using CANbus, though. I think you need it if you use expansion modules. You can daisy-chain these modules together, each connecting to the next. The last one then needs a terminator for the CANbus to work properly.

Are you planning to use the digital outputs 0-3? If you are, then you need to connect 24V to the + and- as shown. If you are not using them, you don't need to connect power to those pins. As I remember, you use one of the relay outputs to switch the VFD and they don't need this extra PSU connection. You could use the digital outputs for things like switching coolant on/off, although personally I don't bother and use a manual switch.
    Brilliant thanks! Got all the UTP connections in now:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeHarris For This Useful Post:

14. Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I have to say that I can't even remember having a CAN terminator! I doubt that it is needed if you are not using CANbus, though. I think you need it if you use expansion modules. You can daisy-chain these modules together, each connecting to the next. The last one then needs a terminator for the CANbus to.
    Would it do any harm to connect it? - just so I don't loose it!

Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread Information