. .
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    The Vectric products come in teirs so its not quite that bad! Take a look at VCarve Desktop, which has pretty much all the 2D, 2.5D and 3D machining you'll need before wanting to move to fusion for the more complex stuff. Only minor draw back is the 600x600mm limit on projects. £275. Free trial available and lots of videos on youtube for examples.

https://www.vectric.com/products/vcarve-desktop

I haven't looked at CamBam yet though as a disclaimer, so couldn't compare the two.
    Thanks Andy, I did have a look at V-carve last night and your right it does look good. Will have a look at Cam bam too once I'm up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    the next check for me would be the wiring between CSLabs and Z drive. Maybe plug the Z drive signals into the Y drive and vice versa. The problem will either follow the Z driver, the Z wiring, or the Z output on the CSLabs controller.
    OK, the thing I cant understand is that it was all working fine last time I had it switch on and I don't think I've messed with the wiring since. The only thing I can think of is that I tried to (unsuccessfully) wire in the spindle control. But can't see how that would be connected.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Joe. I am not going to muddy the waters as I am not familiar with the CS-labs stuff and Dean will sort it with you. Just keep the pecker up.
    Cheers Clive, I'm counting on it! I would not have got this far without you two!

I’ve found Fusion 360 to be a real pain in the ass to learn, I’m a ProE / Creo veteran of 20 years and Fusion baffled me at the start. I’ve watched loads of tutorials on YouTube and it’s starting to make sense - it’s a very different way of thinking than how my brain has been programmed to use CAD. That said, it is a very powerful piece of kit which is perhaps what puts people off if they only want to make simple things. Stick with it mate, it’ll be well worth it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFive View Post
    I’ve found Fusion 360 to be a real pain in the ass to learn, I’m a ProE / Creo veteran of 20 years and Fusion baffled me at the start. I’ve watched loads of tutorials on YouTube and it’s starting to make sense - it’s a very different way of thinking than how my brain has been programmed to use CAD.
    Absolutely right - I've run a few "intro to F360" sessions for fellow club members and I reckon the ones that have the biggest problems are the ones who come to it with a "I've done lots of 2D draughting and 2D CAD" approach. They have to go through an unlearn cycle before they can pick up the new ideas! Building a 3D model is not the same as creating 2D engineering drawings, and especially not if you want to get the best out of it.

As for things going wrong when you're not looking - between my last run of my router and the next "switch on from cold" session (no more than overnight) my machine managed to break a limit switch wire inside a junction box; as there were two switches in series, this seems to have also caused one of those switches to self-destruct. Symptoms were axis moving slowly in wrong direction when homing, which was really weird to see. I no longer believe that a machine won't develop a fault if you only turn your back on it for a little while even while it's switched off!

It’s like Schrödinger's CNC machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    I've tried to gey my head round Fusion360 a few times but it just doesn't seem to work for me either. I've used CamBam since the first day I switched on my original MDF and allthread machine and am still very happy with it, especially with the huge range of useful add-ons available from the very active support community. You have to pay for it but it's a one-off payment that gets you a lifetime of updates.
    CamBam is another I didn't get on with and I found it limited in what it could do, but that was a long time ago, I'm sure it's come on since.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    The problem will either follow the Z driver, the Z wiring, or the Z output on the CSLabs controller.
    Most likely a bad wire if it's in this area, I'd be amazed if it's the Cslabs output as they are generally bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    To be honest, Dean, I would really appreciate a bit of your time to get it set up properly. I feel like I’m going to struggle to ever get it up and running without some expert input! I’ll drop you a DM if that’s alright.

No problem, we will get you going in no time Joe. It will be something silly, usually is.!

Joe just try this for me because I've had this happen before just on Z axis where it won't Jog but it will move with a command... So Do an MDI move.

Make sure got enough room for Z to move Then Zero it out on the DRO and type G1 Z -10 (note the Minus) F500 into the MDI command bar and see if it moves.

Let me know how get on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    CamBam is another I didn't get on with and I found it limited in what it could do, but that was a long time ago, I'm sure it's come on since.
    It is limited compared to F360 for example but that also makes it relatively uncomplicated. Adding some of the many plug-ins available extends what it can do. V-Carve is one example that sign-writers will like and text that follows an arc is another I've used to good effect.

It lacks the advanced adaptive clearing of F360 but works well enough for cutting wood.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

9. Thanks to Dean, the problem seems to be sorted - it was a software issue and required a reinstall of MACH3... but as of this evening I think I have a working machine. I have just cut a square that is square and a circle that is circular for the first time. It has only taken Lockdown to push me into getting it done! The calibration and squaring process is a bit of a pain but less painful than I thought it was going to be. Only slight hiccup was accidentally plunging a centre finder into the bed. Scary and funny in equal measure, how casually the z axis just kept pushing it into the MDF. Machines really don’t know or care. Reminded me of the bit at the beginning of the MACH3 manual:

“a computer is quite prepared to rotate an 8" unbalanced cast iron four-jaw chuck at 3000 rpm, to plunge a panel-fielding router cutter deep into a piece of oak, or to mill away the clamps holding your work to the table.”

Hopefully I can start using this mighty tool now, with no more nasty surprises! Thanks everyone for the help, it’s only taken the best part of a decade!!

10. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At last Joe. Now get it dirty
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread Information