. .
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Only slight hiccup was accidentally plunging a center finder into the bed. Scary and funny in equal measure, how casually the z-axis just kept pushing it into the MDF. Machines really don’t know or care.
    My first experience of the power of CNC and stepper motors was watching my Z-axis a quite happily plunge a 1" square of aluminum and the pen which was inserted in the end of it thru 2 x 18mm MDF boards making a perfectly formed square just as if I'd used my mortising machine.!! . . . I'll never forget the look on my son's face when we looked at each other with eyes wide open...

Now get it working and the first thing to do is the Aztec calendar it's a perfect test of the machine. Then next thing is to make something nice for the Mrs and surprise her, get her on side and you've cracked it, she'll never hassle you again...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

3. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Now get it working and the first thing to do is the Aztec calendar it's a perfect test of the machine.
    Thanks Dean and thanks Clive! Can you email me the Aztec model? I’d love to give it a go once I’ve skimmed off the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeHarris For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 55 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Nice Joe. Did you skim the bed first. MDF is not the best HDF would be better
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

6. Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Nice Joe. Did you skim the bed first. MDF is not the best HDF would be better
    Yes skimmed the bed. At that scale with my cheap Chinese cutter I’m pretty happy with how it turned out in mdf. I’ll try it with hdf or ali...

Sorry, Joe, it slipped my mind but I see you got it. Try cutting it in something harder like Acrylic, HDPE or Ali it will come out a lot nice than on that nasty MDF at this size. MDF is ok when it's larger but not when it gets small as it can't hold the detail.

8. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Sorry, Joe, it slipped my mind but I see you got it. Try cutting it in something harder like Acrylic, HDPE or Ali it will come out a lot nice than on that nasty MDF at this size. MDF is ok when it's larger but not when it gets small as it can't hold the detail.
    No worries. Clive sorted me out! Nasty mdf was all I had!! Looks better with a bit of oil...

Well done - if only more Build logs had a payoff like this. Congratulations on a successful build, and thanks for sharing so much here and on Youtube. Your reflections on the journey and lessons learned will be of great interest. Best wishes
    Andrew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrewg For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 55 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    No worries. Clive sorted me out! Nasty mdf was all I had!! Looks better with a bit of oil...

Well the test has been passed you are a member of the Aztec Club
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewg View Post
    Well done - if only more Build logs had a payoff like this. Congratulations on a successful build, and thanks for sharing so much here and on Youtube. Your reflections on the journey and lessons learned will be of great interest. Best wishes
    Andrew
    Andrew, they do it's just it doesn't always get shown. One of the reasons you don't see so many machines builds finished isn't because they don't get finished, well should say used because they kind of don't get finished. Often it's because soon as they get to the point the machine moves they start using it to make things and that's the last time they do anything to the machine until it breaks or gives trouble.

Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread Information