. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey guys, I have ordered a chinese cnc 3040 with a 1.5kw spindle.

I am wondering from owners of the watercooled 0.8kw 1.5kw and 2.2kw could tell me if you have ever dismantled one?

The one i bought comes with an ER11 collets, but there seems to be replacement collet system for spindles from ER11 ER16 and ER20 and i am wondering if they are actually interchangeable?

Would anyone be able to supply detailed pictures and if possible show one dismantled and/or confirm they are changeable?

If so which one its changeable from/to

here is a link to just one replacement i found on ebay, but there are lots on there like it with different shanks (ie some taperd some straight)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C16-ER20A-...item3f014a5d1d

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ER20-MT2-M...item231c834a95
    Thanks

Craig
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-05-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craigrobbo View Post
    Hey guys, I have ordered a chinese cnc 3040 with a 1.5kw spindle.

I am wondering from owners of the watercooled 0.8kw 1.5kw and 2.2kw could tell me if you have ever dismantled one?

The one i bought comes with an ER11 collets, but there seems to be replacement collet system for spindles from ER11 ER16 and ER20 and i am wondering if they are actually interchangeable?

Would anyone be able to supply detailed pictures and if possible show one dismantled and/or confirm they are changeable?
    Yes I have striped one and no they wont because of the way the rotor is part of the collet shaft.
    The different spindle KW and ER sizes etc make them completely different so therefore not interchangable.

The ER shafts you link to are not replacenments but more extensions and adapters for drilling machines etc or building your own spindle. One of them is MT2 to ER adapter used on mills and lathes.

Here's some pics of a 2.2KW I killed.!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	433.jpg 
Views:	3726 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	5964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	435.jpg 
Views:	3982 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	5965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	436.jpg 
Views:	2418 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	5966

I can confirm Jazzcnc statement. The chuck is integral with the main motor shaft. I have noth 0.8 kw and 2.2 kw and you just use whatever is on the end.

Hey Jazz, How did you kill that 2.2?

Hiya, Will the suppliers not supply you with a larger collet system if you specify it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Kat View Post
    Hey Jazz, How did you kill that 2.2?
    My own silly fault, I'd had the spindle off a few times to check fit for some mounts I'd made for someone and didn't fasten the cable guide correctly, So over time the connector was bending and snapped wire inside main connector at the spindle causing dead short and great big blue flash.!!!!!. . . . . Killed both spindle and ABB350 VFD stone dead. .

As these items are mass produced I would doubt that a special would be considered. Even if it was, I would expect a hefty premium to produce a one off. It's not quite as simple as putting a larger shaft into to smaller motor casing as it simply doesn't fit.

Ali Kat

Whoa - expensive smoke!!!! Let me know if you want to part with the dead bits as it may be useful to have a couple of bearing housings on the spares shelf for my own 2.2.

Ali Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Kat View Post
    Whoa - expensive smoke!!!! Let me know if you want to part with the dead bits as it may be useful to have a couple of bearing housings on the spares shelf for my own 2.2.

Ali Kat
    Nope sorry. It's going to be modified to belt drive then used either has a secondery slow running spindle for steel work or be used for the spindle of a mini lathe.?

Just don't ask when.!!

Very good idea Jazz. The spindles seem to be fairly well built and certainly they are mechanically robust. Should make a good spindle with, perhaps, a multi step pulley to give speed variances etc. Put up some pics when it's done as I'm sure that you won't be the only owner to "kill" one of these spindles!

Ali Kat

hiya, Yeah, they are mass produced... With different collets etc :) I would have thought the 'manufacturer' of the machine could just fit a different one...

Its something I have done in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information