. .

Thread: CNC Newbie

Hi all!!!
    Thought I'd join up as I'm wanting to get into CNC work and could do with some pointers.

Me and my wife run a sign makers in Huddersfield and we do alot of stuff in house apart from cnc work.

Look forward to speaking to you guys and if there are any signmakers that need a chat or advice I'd be glad to help.

Cheers Mark

Welcome,

Ask away mate, whats the plan buy or build.?
    Can certainly help with the build route and hopefully steer you away from some of the bum machines currently on the market if you decide to buy.!
    Best advice I can give if you take the buying route is to buy nothing untill you have run it by a few of us here. Belive me there are some machines out there that look Ok to the untrained eye but are less than ideal in use, very easy to get ripped off or bull shitted into a machine thats not upto the job when your new to CNC.!!

You'll get much more capable machine for less money by building your own if you have some basic engineering skills, tools and common sense. It's not has hard as you'd imagine and with a bit of hand holding and guidance from some of us numbnuts on here you'll build a very nice and capable machine.

Ask away with the pointers.!

Hi Jazz
    Thought about building one for the last couple of years, but still haven't started lol. Don't really have a lot of spare time as were really busy at work.
    Think it may be best to buy one. Can't warrant buying a new one as they're way out of my budget. Just spent 12k on a large printer so I've been scouting around and I've seen cnc's from 2k to 8k on ebay.
    Ideally I'd like something that would just plug n play. Wouldn't we all.
    Don't mind if its been a diy job as long as its been done right. But I wouldn't know a dog from a decent one.
    I've seen a couple of pacers floating about. Are they any good?
    I'd need a large one, something like 3m x 2m.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Hi Jazz
    I've seen a couple of pacers floating about. Are they any good?
    I'd need a large one, something like 3m x 2m.
    Ok so your a special needs case. .

At 3x2 mtrs you will always struggle cost wise to find a decent but sensible money machine and the AXYZ pacer machines you have seen will be stupid money or knackerd if under 5K, esp has you don't see many in Uk either.

With a machine this size, apart from some of the technical aspects of building the machine IE: whether use ballscrews, rack and pinion etc, one of the bigger problems or issues's is holding the work while cutting.?
    With the type of work and materials you'll probaly use then chances are you'll need a good vacuum bed to hold down large sheets. If these sheets get cut thru IE: several pieces cutout from one sheet or lots of holes drilled then the vacuum system needs to be very very good.!!! . . . Very very good = very very expensive.!

Unfortunatly when going large it does or can become expensive by the very nature of the technical aspects of building a machine this size. IE bigger more expensive components etc and if your needs are special like needing vacuum beds then it does get really expensive.!!
    This is why often the only way folks like yourself running 1 man & Mrs business's look to DIY because the same machine bought from a CNC manufacturer to fit there needs is muchO spondulaks and way out there budget.

How much wonga you looking or expecting/prepared to spend. . . OR better still let me say this.!!
    Even if you DIY and are not prepared to spend in the 3-4K region absolute minimum then don't bother because you'll be wasting good time and money.
    4-5K would be a realistic figure for capable reliable machine with some nice trimmings that you could confidently run a business on.!
    Sounds a lot of dosh but the same machine bought would be 10-15K or more.!!

Only you can decide if the time needed to invest DIY building is worth the saving or whether to bite the bullet and suck upto the bank manger.?????

If buying like I say run it buy us here first has there's lots of rubbish out there, Esp on Ebay, that will look ok to a first timer with the horn on for CNC.!! There often sold by twats full of bullshit waiting and willing to rip off new first time users as well.!!!

Edit: You could always look to importing one of the chinese built machines but I think you'll still be in the 10K region for a machine this size after import duty's, shipping etc.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-05-2012 at 08:45 AM.

I only mention Pacer because thats probably the only name I've seen about. There was one local that was selling for 5.5k and had vaccum bed and was serviced 6 months ago. As the guy was local, any pointers I needed he would help. He was upgrading his machine and didn't have the space for the one he was selling.
    Obviously the cheaper the better but I do understand what your saying about you get what you pay for.
    Reason for getting one is that were wanting to expand, and we've probably passed about 15k to out sourcing this last 12 months, which the money we're saving on outsourcing would warrant buying one. But at the same time couldn't warrant spending 20k plus on one.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    I only mention Pacer because thats probably the only name I've seen about. There was one local that was selling for 5.5k and had vaccum bed and was serviced 6 months ago. As the guy was local, any pointers I needed he would help. He was upgrading his machine and didn't have the space for the one he was selling.
    Erm should have bought that.!! . . . Thou I would be asking why he needed to upgrade has it must have had some short comings.?

What kind of work do you out source that needs CNC IE: Engraving, 3D signs or large letters etc.? In what materials.?

I was going to but we're currently looking at a new unit and don't have the room to store it at the mo. Now its gone :(
    We outsource flat cut letters, built up letters, sign trays and shaped signs out of aluminium composite, mdf and acrylic.

Thread Information