Thread: Build or buy?

I have wanted a cnc mill for the past 2 years but no matter how many forum posts or articles i read i find myself pondering the same old question.
    do i build one from a manual machine or buy a used one to retrofit with modern electronics?
    i only need to machine relatively small components (aluminium mostly) and i think something around the size of a sieg x2 would be sufficient. yet something along the lines of the denford starmill or the emco f1 would seriously cut down valuable build time.
    my main constraint is budget, i could only spend possibly 800-900 initially on a machine.

any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated

You'll be able to get a bigger machine within your budget if you convert it yourself, unless you get very lucky.

I got my used milling machine for 320 including delivery via eBay. It's this one:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...C=GS-060711226

Have a look on eBay and sort by distance nearest. You'll want to replace the screws with ballscrews from linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay. Electronics will cost about 250.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

forgot to mention that ive got only limited space so i think something the size of a triac or warco vmc would be the biggest possible. sadly i recently had to turn down a 150 bridgeport mill due to lack of space
    how do you find the round column? do you use the quill feed as the z axis?
    ive toyed with the idea of converting a centec 2 mill or something of similar size, although i don't recall seeing one done i recon it could work out to be a very capable machine.

150 Bridgeport

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    150 Bridgeport
    I'm up for a trip to Ireland.!! . . . Still for sale.???

sorry to say that the mill has met its end i saw it at a yard clearance along with 2 ward 2d lathes. i was talking to the seller a couple of days after and he told me they were all scrapped, i almost cried

Quote Originally Posted by jonnydeen View Post
    sorry to say that the mill has met its end i saw it at a yard clearance along with 2 ward 2d lathes. i was talking to the seller a couple of days after and he told me they were all scrapped, i almost cried
    Bastards.!! They should be shot for scrapping a bridgeport.