. .
    Hello,

My issue is when i import my part from Autodesk inventor using several exporting formals including IGS, STEP, DWG & STL that when the part imports and all looks well when i come to select a boundry almost all round faces are split into several smaller arches.

Okay so thats not a major issue i can just select all untill i have a full circle, but no - It will not accept any boundry.

When i want to machine a particular part of the model i will select th eportion i want the toolpath to take, but when i do it still selects the entire model.

Now all the above is done in 3d mill mode.

My next (well more of a continuation) issue is when i come to use 2d milling.

A similar part i want to machine in 2D again import the part (the drawing is in the 3d but i assume since i am not selecting 3d faces it should be ok?) now this time because of the previous issue in not being able to select boundrays this time it does not let me select the face or line i want to machine.

For example i import a round circle and want to pocket it, no matter which edge i select it just does not accept.

I do thefollowing 'select geomatry' right clock and 'ok' to confirm however, after conformation it just doesn't accept the selection of the part i want to machine, and its the same issue with the boundry.

Now then, if i draw a part in bobcad all seems to work fine, however alot of my files are made in inventor and my choice of CAD software, mainly because i find it the easiest to use.

Thanks

Craig

Ok this should work with both problems.!

First make a new layer, call it edges or something and select this layer to work on. Then Extract the edges using the "extract edges" option in utilities menu.

Then use these lines to either create boundries for the 3d toolpath boundry or use the lines in 2D to get the toolpath from.!!. . . .Simplizzz.

Edit: Forgot to say that when using lines for 3D toolpath then you will want to offset them by some amount, usually just a bit more than the cutter diameter or half Dia depending on tool and geometry.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-05-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Thread Information