. .
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fvfdrums View Post
    I have the large industrial style limit switches with a roller that can be activated either cw/cww which I am going to have activated by a ramp rather than bumping into it. However the homing switches are proximity. how and where do people generally fit these?
    This going to sound obvious when I say it.!! . . . . Where ever you want HOME to be.!!

Generally you'll position them so they follow Cartasian coordinates ie Bottom left corner and in front of the limits but they can be any where you like. They are really only used as a Fixed referance point to define MACHINE coordinate Zero which you then use to Reference WORK coordinates.

One problem with NOT putting them in corner is that depending on which side of the switch axis is parked it could miss the switch. This is why generally you put them in a corner and set controller up so it always HOMES negative or Positive so can't miss the switch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

It was more how they were positioned however I think I have figured the best solution(s) for this machine based on keeping them out of the way of the "crap" thats likely to be thrown up at them if mounted lower down.

Managed to get them all as travelling switches as I had hoped so should make for less wires everywhere.

It makes sense you would home at the front I suppose, I dont know why but I thought to start with if you were standing at the front it would be back of the machine left hand side, but I suppose thats due to the way my machine is positioned. Although it does still give good access to tool changing etc hmmm I will have a think.

Thanks though Dean

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdrums View Post
    It makes sense you would home at the front I suppose, I dont know why but I thought to start with if you were standing at the front it would be back of the machine left hand side, but I suppose thats due to the way my machine is positioned. Although it does still give good access to tool changing etc hmmm I will have a think.
    Depends really where you stand at the machine. Often routers are viewed from the side in which case viewing from the front it would be back left corner and long axis woul'd be X axis. Viewing from the side that would still be bottom left corner.!

If you stand in front of machine then you'd call across the gantry the X axis and long Axis would be Y. Again this would follow typical drawing coordinates.

But like I say doesn't have to be and some don't have it this way. I prefer so home is in bottom left corner and all moves in MACHINE coordiantes are positive. So Homing is always traveling towards negative.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Hi Paulo
    I bet when you started this thread you didn't realise that the title '
    On the horizon' would be so apt! First post is nearly 3 years old . . .
    On a more helpful note you mention home location and tool changing - don't let one dictate the other as you can set a PARK position at any arbitrary point you want. Mach3 2010 screenset has this built in or you can add the feature to the standard screen if I remember correctly.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I don't even like people talking about front and side - I'm not sure which is which! I'm sure opinions differ... For me, the long axis is X and short, gantry, axis is Y. Already we have upset the north American community who tend to use the opposite convention. I stand facing the long side with the gantry home position to my left and which makes the LH corner nearest me the natural 0,0 place. Feels right as well as it matches the usual axis layout you would see in a graph. It also means that the spindle is close to hand for tool-changing when it's in the home position. But as long as you know how your CAD/CAM process maps to the bed of your machine, this is all a bit arbitrary and you can decide for yourself which axis is X and so on, and what's convenient for home switch positions.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    On a more helpful note you mention home location and tool changing - don't let one dictate the other as you can set a PARK position at any arbitrary point you want. Mach3 2010 screenset has this built in or you can add the feature to the standard screen if I remember correctly.
    Agreed and just to add to this 2010 screen set actually has a TC (tool change) position and a Park position. In practice you'll change tools anywhere you feel suits you best and it probably won't be in one set location.
    Many don't realise you can actually jog away to any point to change tools so often you'll just jog closest location to you from work piece and change tool there. Running to the other end of even a medium size machine to change tools soon becomes tiresome, so nearer to the Work location the better.

This fits and brings nicely to placing work piece on the table.? Again on medium to large routers you'll often be cutting pieces much smaller than the table size and it's tempting to always locate in same place which is easy to reach.!! . . . This is not good for the machine as it tends to wear screws and rails etc in one place more than another so spread the work around the table. This is when you'll want to jog to closest location to workpiece rather than run to other end of machine for each tool change.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-03-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I don't even like people talking about front and side - I'm not sure which is which! I'm sure opinions differ... For me, the long axis is X and short, gantry, axis is Y.
    Easy really.! Side is when gantry is running side to side. Front is when Gantry is running away and towards you.

If stood in front then you want the Axis which runs across the Gantry to be called (X Axis) and the Gantry moving away/towards you (Y axis) This way you retain the Cartaisian coordinate system with X0,Y0 in bottom left corner.

There is No right or Wrong only preference. Mostly based on where you stand or view.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-03-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Side is when gantry is running side to side.
    That's why I find this whole front/side business confusing - should that have said when gantry is running front to back, that is, left to right? I call the long side of my machine the front because that is where I stand to use it. Doubt if it makes sense to anyone else, as it's because of the layout of my workshop. But I strongly agree that it's just a matter of preference, and what is absolutely vital is that x0,y0 is at the lh corner nearest you, so the bed looks just like the virtual sheet of paper you draw on in your CAD programme. If you don't, you are going to confuse yourself every time you try to set up a new piece of work. I've ended up with x0,y0 at the far right-hand corner of my 3D printer and I get mildly baffled every time I use it. I should just turn it through 180 deg, but I'm too lazy to shunt everything around to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    That's why I find this whole front/side business confusing - should that have said when gantry is running front to back, that is, left to right? I call the long side of my machine the front because that is where I stand to use it.
    Well it's down to how we typicly define a router I suppose.!! Look at any picture of a router, DIY or Industrial and 99% will show it looking length ways down the narrow view of machine directly facing the gantry. This facing the gantry would be classed as the Front and the Gantry would move away and towards you.

If your stood facing the long side you'll be looking side ways down gantry length and it would indeed move left to right or side to side as I put it.

One of many things that's arrived this week. Exceptionally well made and presented. If it operates even half as good as it looks (which I have no doubt it will) I'll be very happy!

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information