. .
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    I got a couple of those in the last couple of weeks (one for my router and one for the planned mill conversion) they are nicely packed and presented, im just reading through the instruction manual at the moment...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yeah I am pleased,

Have this week set aside to finish up the general mechanics of the machine (to an basic operating stage) then fri-sun to wire up the panel and get it all working so fingers crossed

A similar timetable to myself except mine will just be done in the week, I've only got a couple of bits to do mechanically and then the rest is all electrical...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Belt arrived today.....

......wrong size. Anyway after a long time on the phone and knowing they were not really interested in helping out "small orders" I decided to just move the x axis motor to accommodate it. Turns out it's worked out quite well but what a pain this belt had been! Anyway it seems to be fine now.

Most of the electrical stuff has arrived now only waiting on a few bits and the e chain.

Should have moved on a lot by this time next week fingers crossed.

Also.....

Planning on using grub screws on the steppers at 90 degrees to each other. What size would people use on an 8mm shaft and a 10mm shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdrums View Post
    Also.....

Planning on using grub screws on the steppers at 90 degrees to each other. What size would people use on an 8mm shaft and a 10mm shaft?
    Depends on the size of the pulleys I guess, I've used M4's on the 20 tooth pulleys as well as the 40 tooth ones. My 40mm pulleys are a push fit on the ballscrews so I'm hoping that's enough. Could always put a bit of loctite on too...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well I'm on 30 tooth pulleys. So I'm guessing that would work as well. I have a similar fit with the pulleys so that should work. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdrums View Post
    Well I'm on 30 tooth pulleys. So I'm guessing that would work as well. I have a similar fit with the pulleys so that should work. Cheers
    Hammer a bit of 1.5mm copper wire flat and cut a small piece off to drop down the hole where the grub screw goes I find it make a big difference and does not mark the shaft. Clive

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Depends on the size of the pulleys I guess, I've used M4's on the 20 tooth pulleys as well as the 40 tooth ones. My 40mm pulleys are a push fit on the ballscrews so I'm hoping that's enough. Could always put a bit of loctite on too...
    Larger grub screws the better so can get good purchase on them, fiddley Grub screws are a pain and definately loctite the pulleys on. You'll never really want them off again other than to replace and certainly don't want them spinning on the shaft. Also mark them so for easy visual reference so can check they are not spinning.

I did like Dean says, larger grub screws. I also filed flat recess on shafts, where grub screws go. It was quite easy using small square file. It seemed to me it would help. Locktite also. In fact my major mistake on the first build was not using locktite on all screws. Result was from vibrations or whatever at least 2 screws difficult to access
    loosened so i wasted some time tightening again all screws on my friends machine. On my current build i use Locktite on all screws and i hope all will be perfect long time after i am finished. Same goes for the supported rails. When all was mounted and square, i carefully poured locktite between screws and rails. later checked it, it worked. Then i fit the plastic caps.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread Information