. .
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've got round it in the past by ordering ballscrews and rails at the same time, since the rails add sufficient strength to the package, but if you're getting the rails elsewhere that's not much use.

How long are the bent ballscrews? You can try clamping it between V-blocks, and pushing down in the middle to bend it back... but it's not going to be easy.
    Rails already in my possession but ill keep that in mind for the future!

I am going to put it in my lathe later and try and measure how far out it is. But any ideas greatly appreciated

My stuff arrived today has well, wonder if they came on same shipment.? Don't know if dare say this but my stuff is ok but I did have other stuff which supported the screws plus they where only 1300mm long.

Depending how bent then like Jon says V bollock and plenty of force, I've straightened screws before but it's slow process and easy to over do and bend more.
    If not too bad then I'd fit on machine and see how they perform, sometimes they can be ok when running and not affect machine too much.?? . . .they can also shake the bastard to bits but worth a try.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    My stuff arrived today has well, wonder if they came on same shipment.? Don't know if dare say this but my stuff is ok but I did have other stuff which supported the screws plus they where only 1300mm long.

Depending how bent then like Jon says V bollock and plenty of force, I've straightened screws before but it's slow process and easy to over do and bend more.
    If not too bad then I'd fit on machine and see how they perform, sometimes they can be ok when running and not affect machine too much.?? . . .they can also shake the bastard to bits but worth a try.!!
    Mine are only 1050mm long but it was just the 4 ball screws bk12 holders and the ball screw holders in the one package covered in yellow tape and a sprinkling of bubblewrap. Oh well hopefully they are not as bad as they feel but I have a horrible feeling :|

My ball screws from Chai were wrapped in plastic, encased in foam and wrapped in a cardboard square tube/box which was liberally wrapped in yellow tape. Not checked mine yet to see if they're straight....might be doing that sooner rather than later now!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

So......

A fair bit of work this weekend and the basic frame of the gantry is done. Lots of measuring 4 times and drilling once but its all worked out really well everything is nice and square and meets up well could not be more pleased.

I have to say a big thank you to Jonathan for organising for the gantry sides to be cut so quickly, collected this morning and on the gantry by this eve.

Now its started I dont think I will be out of the workshop for a while, good job the missus has gone to South Africa for two weeks!

:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	417.9 KB 
ID:	11630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	11631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	400.4 KB 
ID:	11632  

Another weekend of work and the gantry is really coming together now.

Got the y axis ball screw fitted, motor mount machined and fitted inside the gantry, x axis bearing plates milled and drilled and test fit on the rails on some trestles.

Looks like I need to get some more material together for the z axis!

btw, the x rails are screwed onto the trestles I was a bit concerned one side might just fall off!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	11690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	11689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	578.5 KB 
ID:	11688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	538.7 KB 
ID:	11687  

Did you really need to over build the base frame that much and how do you plan to attach the ballscrews and motors to the trestles.?. . . . Lol

Looking Good Francis sorry I was too busy to help with machining but looks like it's coming along nicely, keep up the good work. .

probably not but I can always have the parts out and pocket sections of the parts which dont need quite as much strength in the future.

Thanks for all the init and I know your busy so its not a problem :) hopefully it keeps going as smoothly.

That is one meaty and sturdy gantry and quite a good design.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

i cannot take credit for the design - well other than my version of...... it was a design jazz put up ages ago that I took the cues from

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information