. .
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Many thanks Clive

I am searching around in the hope of finding them a bit cheaper but at least i am on the right track!

Cheers

You might find it cheaper to get multiple smaller caps, I got 4 x 4700uF ones for a few pounds each, just means more connections to make...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Also... what sort / size cable do people generally use for wiring coming from the psu to the stepper drives and wiring the power elements of the estop circuits bearing in mind I am using the CSMIO from cslabs so its all 24v in relation to the motion controller except the mains in

Just trying to get an idea of whats best to order in bulk

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdrums View Post
    Also... what sort / size cable do people generally use for wiring coming from the psu to the stepper drives and wiring the power elements of the estop circuits bearing in mind I am using the CSMIO from cslabs so its all 24v in relation to the motion controller except the mains in

You could use cat5 flexi cable or a screened cable for all the switches and limits, Estop etc. 1.5mm CY 4 core for the steppers (don't forget to ground to a star point at the driver end) and a bit of 2 core from the 24V power supply to the BOB.
    Last edited by Clive S; 11-03-2015 at 08:40 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

You want Tri rated for general single wire runs for power to steppers, relays etc like this. http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/Tr...l#aTri_2d0_2d5

For signal cables you want Shielded CY cables or like Clive says you can use twisted pair Cat5 but only use inside control panel not running to limits etc on machine as it's not really flexible enough. I tend to use Cat5 in box as theres less wires and one cable will provide for 2 drives.
    http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/CY-Cable.html

Bear in mind the Csmio doesn't provide voltage from the I/O you have to feed it 24V +/- to each I/O so you'll need plenty of connections on the 24V rail or do some jumpering. Suggest you get some Din rail terminals with Jumper bars to create one Multi connector.

Thanks Clive and Dean.

That tri rated cable what size am I am looking at for the stepper power feeds?

Thanks Clive and Dean.

That tri rated cable what size am I am looking at for the stepper power feeds?
    Well 0.5mm/2 would be ok on Max amp rating given most motors are rated around 4-5A but 0.75mm/2 will give plenty of safety margin if you'd prefer OTT. I think the Tri rated cable is safe to around 600Vdc so you no worries here.!!

For signal cables you want Shielded CY cables or like Clive says you can use twisted pair Cat5 but only use inside control panel not running to limits etc on machine as it's not really flexible enough. I tend to use Cat5 in box as theres less wires and one cable will provide for 2 drives.
    Yes quite correct I should have said cat5 flexi as in the patch cable type. (although you can buy flexi by the roll). Clive

Aliexpress is your friend for cheap capacitors, and just about anything really:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...t=10000uf+100v

You need to be wary of fakes - I got these as they were the cheapest at the time and they're fine. On the lower end of the tolerance but that's not a big deal for what we're doing.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

[Tried to edit previous post to add this, but kept getting 'message too short' error]

This is how I've been using the capacitors:

It keeps things reasonably neat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot_20150311.JPG 
Views:	471 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	14850  
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread Information