. .
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Depends how Anal you want to get.!!! . . . Really with an emergency stop then power should be removed. Just removing the RUN signal isn't compleltely safe.

Killing power to the VFD isn't ideal but in a true emergency then it's what you want to happen. It can be done safely using timer relays to allow time for spindle to shut down safely before power is removed.
    Is it really needed.? Well only you can answer this one.! . . . Me i'm happy to isolate the run signal using a relay, Which by the way the IP-M as built into the controller so can connect direct to the VFD.

Drives because you have them I'd stick with and they'll do the job ok but NO they are not good as the AM or EM which are much smoother refined drives. Just because they use a DSP doen't make them the same.!

So in a nutshell - what benefits am I likely to notice between the DM and the AM/EMs? I know they have the stall detection is that as vital if I am only running one motor for the x axis? or have I missed the point...

I think the run signal works for now. I can see this panel taking as long as the bloody machine at this rate!

Also,

just reading through the manual for the BoB it suggests if using a large contactor to switch off the power its an idea to have a diode and a noise suppression device? is this to prevent voltage spikes? and how would one go about adding these to the control panel?

In a nutshell you'd get smoother movement from the motors, esp at lower speeds. Also less motor heating as they handle current much better and the drives software seems much more refined.
    These things I know for sure just from the limited experience of the DM's vs AM/EM which I've loads of experience with.
    While I can't answer this 100% because my experience with DM was limited I'd take an educated guess and say you'd get slightly less speed/torque compared to EM as well.
    This said I still wouldn't sell the DM if you have them as the difference in use will be minor but there is a difference. The stall detect isn't an issue at all for you so don't fret about this and you haven't missed any point.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

ok so assuming that I use these DM860 drives. What do I do with the enable signal? It says in the manual normally left unconnected (enabled) if i were to use it what would I be connecting it to? Sorry a little confused on that one

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdrums View Post
    ok so assuming that I use these DM860 drives. What do I do with the enable signal? It says in the manual normally left unconnected (enabled) if i were to use it what would I be connecting it to? Sorry a little confused on that one
    Whichever controller board you decide on, it should have a connection for the enable/disable.

thanks for the reply, I know they have to be connected to the controller and I am settled on the CS labs CSMIO IPM board which I am sure has a facility for connection of these I am just not sure where they are meant to be connected to on this. Is it a digital in or out? .......

Give me a welder over a soldering iron any day!

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the CSMIO IPM board roughly? trying to source a control cabinet and know everything else size wise apart from this, it does not appear to be in the manual or on the site as far as I can see.

Last edited by njhussey; 18-02-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

some times you cant see the wood for the trees - or in this case I have looked at that page so many times I just plain did not see it, now I have looked I have no idea how I missed that.

Cheers for that!

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information