. .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    Just out of curiosity are there many linuxcnc users out there? I always wanted to be a greek, warm sunny weather no taxes and retire at 25 and lots of poverty.
    Bruce

You don't need Linuxcnc, you need a Kebab shop.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    I always wanted to be a greek, warm sunny weather no taxes and retire at 25 and lots of poverty.
    Bruce
    Your a Bit stuffed for the minimum retirement age bruce but the rest's Coming to a place near you soon .!! . . .This countrys FUBARD.!!

What do you mean, I am only 23 just had a hard life thats all. Opps thats nursey coming...night all
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    So you know this from your extensive usage of the SS.?
    As you would say:

Presumption is the mother of all F:U.!! . . . SO NOW. . How the F~@K do you know what I've done or not done with my machine.? Or any other machine for that matter.:exclaim: . . . . . reading a few old post's don't make you Physic Sally.
    I know this from some research and my common sense. I don't need to have climbed Mt. Everest to know it's really really cold, because that's obvious.

Jonathan this kind of disrespect really annoys me.!!!
    I don't see how I've said anything disrespectful. If Art didn't care about money he wouldn't be charging for it. There's nothing wrong with charging for your work, I never said there was.

Price is relative. Something can only be expensive in the context of something else. Compared to it's nearest competitor, Mach3 is expensive and does fewer things.

without Mach or Art fennerty's contribution then DIY CNC would still be in the stone age or not exist at all
    I wouldn't be so sure. Clearly Art has done a great job, but who are we to say someone else wouldn't have done it if he had not?

Little Known is the fact Emc owe's much to Art and his knowledge of the PP and indeed use's some of his code.
    They fundamentally have very different architectures so I think that's highly unlikely, could you please provide a reference?

Anyway instead of calling me names perhaps you'd like to point out what I've said that's not true? I never said Art did anything wrong, you're putting words in my mouth. I simply said they have little incentive to improve. If they choose to improve regardless out of the kindness then kudos to them.

Being tight is the only way I can even hope to own a workshop before my 30th birthday. Between being tight and not having a workshop... well I know which one I'm picking.

Could you please not accuse me of things I've not done? I happily admit to being a geek (at least I'm not in denial), but I have most certainly not 'trashed' anyones 'rep'. I would prefer it if you picked fault with what I said instead of who or what I am.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    There has been a recent thread over on the Yahoo forum DIY-CNC where a guy called Dan Maulch, well respected builder of CNC systems has been having problems getting a Gecko 540 to work with Linuxcnc. Also on the same forum of two of the Linuxcnc development team who also can't get this thing to work right.
    There will always be people having problems - I can list lots of people struggling with Mach3 (with or without smooth-stepper), just because he's having problems and he has a reputation, that's not to say LnuxCNC is bad, at all. You can't use a small number of isolated examples to try to discredit an entire program - the reason people can't help him is likely a hardware rather than a software problem

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Another point brought up is why if it's so good and successful it looks like a basic experiment as regards the screens.Our Mach screens have everything, MDI, tool offsets, probe, 4th axis etc and large buttons for touch screens all on one screen, users do not need to move away from this screen.
    You can easily zero any axis and jog away if you break a tool, change it and reset offsets and do a run from here.

Don't like our screens?, use someone elses or alter your own.
    I don't know how long its been since you've tried linuxCNC, but it has MDI and 4th axis as standard. There's other 'screens' available, the screen for LinuxCNC is fully customisable ... so anyone can make the buttons large if they wish. Linuxcnc has all the functionality you mentioned. Bear in mind, there is a huge library of user contributed content for LinuxCNC and it supports a much wider variety of machines.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 21-05-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    As you would say:
    Anyway instead of calling me names perhaps you'd like to point out what I've said that's not true? I never said Art did anything wrong, you're putting words in my mouth. I simply said they have little incentive to improve. If they choose to improve regardless out of the kindness then kudos to them.
    erm..Mach 4 is under (very) active development, and Mach 3 has been continually tweeked.
    I don't know how long its been since you've tried linuxCNC, but it has MDI and 4th axis as standard. There's other 'screens' available, the screen for LinuxCNC is fully customisable ... so anyone can make the buttons large if they wish. Linuxcnc has all the functionality you mentioned. Bear in mind, there is a huge library of user contributed content for LinuxCNC and it supports a much wider variety of machines.
    Still can't handle anything without a parallel port though ;)
    And that is becoming a major issue. Yes you can trawl ebay and pick up something old that may work for cheap, or pay lots of money for an industrial spec motherboard with a PP and build up your own computer, then go through installing an unfamiliar OS followed by a software program in an unfamiliar enviroment.
    Or you can pick up a common as muck familiar windows machine, plug in a SS (or similar), and install the required software in a familiar enviroment.

Now for most users, are they going to go with the more familiar, or less familiar option?

On a side note, I've got a lot of respect for Art, as he is probably one of the, if not, the largest contributors to the development of the DIY CNC scene.
    Mach revolutionised DIY CNC machines, as it removed the need for dedicated controllers, and meant users could use a 'normal' computer that most would be familiar with to do things that without Mach, most would of found impossible to do. That is what made Mach so successful, and is what many others are trying to achieve. I'll admit Mach3 has stagnated a bit and has inherent issues, and even Brian has made comments to that effect, but Mach 4 is on it's way. Completely ground up rewrite/structure, and Art is even writing a completely new PP driver addressing several of the issues of the last one.
    Yes, somebody else may of came up with something, but I'd doubt DIY CNC would be where it is today, if it hadn't been for Art's innovation.

Guys ! It was just information.... not the start of a comparison/ WAR? between Mach and CNCLinux .... :-)

What makes the EES attractive to me is the Ethernet port rather than Parallel port for 2 reasons:
    1- My workshop is tiny (ask i2i is been there) therefor no space for a full size desktop... So I could use a mini PC, these do not come with Parallel ports...
    2- The maximum length a parallel port cable can be is something like 3m before trouble... I would like to keep the PC away from the machine. CAT6 cable (Ethernet) give up to 100m.

Now if I could use CNCLinux with that, that would be the cherry on the top of the cake!

L.

Lives in Swansea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22-05-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 61. Received thanks 10 times, giving thanks to others 9 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Guys ! It was just information.... not the start of a comparison/ WAR? between Mach and CNCLinux .... :-)

What makes the EES attractive to me is the Ethernet port rather than Parallel port for 2 reasons:
    1- My workshop is tiny (ask i2i is been there) therefor no space for a full size desktop... So I could use a mini PC, these do not come with Parallel ports...
    2- The maximum length a parallel port cable can be is something like 3m before trouble... I would like to keep the PC away from the machine. CAT6 cable (Ethernet) give up to 100m.

Now if I could use CNCLinux with that, that would be the cherry on the top of the cake!

L.
    The Intel Atom mini-ATX systems are supposed to work well with LinuxCNC - although I haven't tried one:

Link: Intel Atom

I have to admit once I started with LinuxCNC (EMC2 as it was then) I got hooked on linux and now I use it for everything. It is missing user-friendly DIY CAM programs though - so I still run Vectric Cut2D and 3D on linux via Wine.

Nathan (a geek!)

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    erm..Mach 4 is under (very) active development, and Mach 3 has been continually tweeked(sic).

I'm sure Mach 4 will be a huge improvement on Mach 3, but I don't see how it's possible for Art to deal with the issues that Windows has. Fair enough, he's a good developer, but he's limited by the platform he's working on and that's a huge factor that's well beyond his control. I might be the world's best Aerospace engineer, but if I'm only given playdough to work with, then no matter how much effort I go to, it's impossible for me to make a good plane.

Still can't handle anything without a parallel port though ;)
    This issue has been done to death: It's not a case of "can't" it's a case of "doesn't want to" - LinuxCNC revolves around a very versatile and well developed core which runs on a computer. As soon as you use something other than the parallel port, to maintain realtime you need to decode the GCode outside the computer, essentially you need to outsource the controller to an outside box. You will never be able to have as good a controller running on a microcontroller/FPGA than on a computer (some industrial controllers do it, but check out the cost) and that's why linuxCNC developers insist on keeping the controller within the computer. The decision is there with good reason and I agree with it.

Now for most users, are they going to go with the more familiar, or less familiar option?
    You've missed out a lot of rather critical factors there, so that's a bit of a misleading question. Let's compare the two options properly? For arguments sake I'm going to assume you already have a computer and that we've bought a low latency PCI Parallel port card for it because they're £6 from eBay.

Mach/SS:
    Pros: Familiar, DIY standard.
    Cons: Doesn't support some obscure machines/extras.
    Cost: Windows >£50, Mach3 >£50, Smoothstepper about £150, Total:>£250
    What you have to lose if you want to switch to the alternative: A few hours of your time, >£250.

LinuxCNC:
    Pros: Supports everything. Runs well on old computers. Extremely customizable.
    Cons: Unfamiliar software environment. Doesn't support things without a Parallel port.
    Cost: N/A
    What you have to lose if you want to switch to the alternative: A few hours of your time.

Now if the 'unfamiliar software environment' is so scary to 'most users' that they're not willing to even try it before spending hundreds of pounds, then my advice to them is firstly to educate themselves (that's what the forums are for) and secondly to deal with that irrational fear of the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC
    Little Known is the fact Emc owe's much to Art and his knowledge of the PP and indeed use's some of his code.
    I did some more research and found the following things: EMC was first developed by NIST in 1993 and released 'around 2000' while Artsoft went into business in 2001. The only links I found indicate that Mach borrowed from EMC and not the other way around (people love to jump to conclusions, I *AM NOT* saying there's anything wrong with this). If anyone has more info please do let me know:
    "This software[Mach] is derived from the EMC software from NIST and expands on the good features of EMC."
    http://www.pmdx.com/Resources
    "Yes, and we could also convert EMC into Mach. That's what Art Fenerty did some years ago, we mostly wished him well, but we had specific and we feel QUITE valid reasons for staying with the real-time servo model."
    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lin...emc.devel/2006

So I could use a mini PC, these do not come with Parallel ports...
    They most certainly do, there are plenty with parallel ports. Even if there weren't you would be able build one cheaply as I suggested above. If you want some guarantee of good performance then get one of the good ones from the list I posted earlier. The intel Atoms are popular and have good latency.

Quote Originally Posted by Agornr107 View Post
    I would like to keep the PC away from the machine
    You have a number of options:
    1) TRY a shielded 10m parallel cable, it may well work with no problems and it's not particularly expensive from eBay.
    2) Extend your stepper cables, they can be extended as much as you need although the cable is about £1.20 per meter per motor.
    3) Get a wireless mouse and keyboard and extend the monitor into another room, unless you literally don't have space for the PC in which case disregard this option

Jonathan I find it very Sad that you've gone to all the trouble of traweling thru old posts
    I've not trawled through anything. I remember most things that are said to me, particularly insults so I did one google search. The post which your reply referred started with "As far as I'm aware", no assumptions, just a hypothesis, yet you chose to reply in an extremely aggressive way anyway. It's perfectly in context.

With the Know-it-all arrogance that comes with youth
    So you're basically trying to take the moral high ground by saying I'm wrong because I'm young? Or because you think I'm not allowed to have an opinion until I've seen the smoothstepper in action? I disagree: you might not believe in theory and prediction but I do. If you don't trust your logical deduction and common sense when predicting things, fair enough. Don't try to stop me voicing mine (or do, I honestly don't care). You might want to have a read of this page as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

so they call it a day cut there loses never to return going back to the potting shed
    And nothing of value was lost. I would much prefer quality over quantity in the community. If they choose to give up without even asking a question or two on the forums, then I'm not lowering my standards to their level just so they grace the community with their presence. I'm there to provide support to anyone who asks for it, and my conscience is clear. In my opinion, if you have a problem with being a geek, DIY CNC isn't the right hobby for you. If anything I think the fact that LinuxCNC is free attracts newbies because they don't have to commit to buying a mach license to try all but the simplest code, like in this thread for example:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-46797.html

Apparently people are under the impression I have a problem with Art or Artsoft. If my previous posts gave that impression, then it wasn't intentional. I'm sure Art is a great guy and he's done a lot for the community. I never disputed that.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Just spoke to Art on the phone today.
    I pointed him to this thread.

Oh how we chucked and rolled all over the floor with mirth.

BTW he's been retired from Artsoft for 3 years now, sold out to Brian Barker and Scott Nichols.
    If you had gone to the Midlands show three years ago they were all there. They let wheelchairs in so they should be OK with prams.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Jonathan, you're naive, and very stereotypically geeky with being unable to comprehend how the average user thinks, plus you need to stop making assumptions about the original posters requirements/decisions.

If you ask your average user to install a new program on windows, the majority would manage it with minimal hassle, as the process is familiar.
    Now ask them to install a completely new OS, and install a new program on it. Most will fall at the first hurdle. Some will battle on and manage it, but lots will just give up, or not even try.
    You might think that you can 'educate' them, but most won't try. For those who want 'educated' kudos to you for doing it.

However, Mach allows those who don't want to deal with learning a new OS to get a functioning machine, and without any expense. Remember Mach without a license isn't that handicapped.
    Mach also has proper support. If you have a problem, you can actually email or phone somebody for help, not just rely on a community for help, and that is very valuable to people.

I'll admit I've not looked at EMC/LinuxCNC for a while, but I'd doubt the support community is as large as the combined Mach Support forum, and Yahoo Group.

You've missed out a lot of rather critical factors there, so that's a bit of a misleading question. Let's compare the two options properly? For arguments sake I'm going to assume you already have a computer and that we've bought a low latency PCI Parallel port card for it because they're £6 from eBay.

Mach/SS:
    Pros: Familiar, DIY standard.
    Cons: Doesn't support some obscure machines/extras.
    Cost: Windows >£50, Mach3 >£50, Smoothstepper about £150, Total:>£250
    What you have to lose if you want to switch to the alternative: A few hours of your time, >£250.
    Sorry to be pedantic, but if you're wanting to compare Mach to LinuxCNC, you won't be needing a SS ;-)
    Plus what's the chances of any computer not coming with Windows?

Now to give a real example. I'm needing a way to program some ATmega chips.
    Now I could be a tight arse, and build a programmer using one of the Arduinos I've got kicking around or buy a cheap programmer clone, then spend time getting it to work doing what I need it to, relying on lesser used programs and internet support for any issues, or I can spend the extra £30-40 on a genuine programmer, which will work out the box in a better supported program, and comes with access to proper support from the manufacturer should anything go wrong.

I've got to have this project done for the middle of next month, while doing a full time job, managing the timing for a 6 hour race this weekend, providing timing for two evening races the next week, and helping to build a race course for a major european race the middle of next month. Now what one is the better option?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information