. .
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lives in MUC, Germany. Last Activity: 21-05-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Hi there,
    just stumbled upon this thread and thought maybe I could share some typical thoughts...

I own a gecko 540 driven cnc Taig with a trunnion table, and one of these handy Shuttle Pro wheels.
    A while ago I also tried out LinuxCNC (which is still installed parallel) but I got first stuck with installing this Shuttle Pro and secondly if you want to run a trunnion table you need to code some kinematic stuff, which both would be quite a problem. So I ended up using Mach3 again.

But if anybody could point me a link to a working trunnion table kinematic file, I really would appreciate it.
    ....and I think this is pretty typical...used to windows for so many years, you mostly just have to install some drivers, and its done.

just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Just spoke to Art on the phone today.
    I'm glad to hear it. I'd love to hear his thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    "Sorry to be pedantic, but if you're wanting to compare Mach to LinuxCNC, you won't be needing a SS ;)
    Sorry to be pedantic, but this thread started with a post about SS so that's what I'm comparing. Here's a modified version of the list for Mach alone:

Mach:
    Pros: Familiar, DIY Standard.
    Cons: Doesn't support some obscure machines/extras.
    Cost: Windows >£50, Mach3 >£50
    What you have to lose if you want to switch to the alternative: A few hours of your time, >£100.

you need to stop making assumptions about the original posters requirements/decisions.
    What assumptions have I wrongly made?

Plus what's the chances of any computer not coming with Windows?
    Mach3 runs on windows 2000 and windows XP. Both are in steady decline with windows vista, 7 and 8 being forced out by Microsoft. It takes 20 minutes to make a bootable pendrive and 30 minutes to install linuxCNC, even on slower computers. I refuse to believe that this should make any sort of difference. The computer gives you clear and simple instructions on what to do, I apologise for not understanding how this poses a problem for so many people. Ubuntu is made to be incredibly user friendly and simple (it's marketed at Apple users amongst others).

Now to give a real example. I'm needing a way to program some ATmega chips.
    I'm glad you brought this up. A friend of mine wanted to get into PIC programming just last week. I recommended he buy a PicKit2 clone from ebay. It is digitally identical to Microchip's pickit2 and costs half as much. It interfaces with MPLAB IDE just like a genuine one would do and has freeware firmware updates to interface with Arduinos, that you can download and install easily. I'd pick that over a genuine programmer any day and yes, I do own a genuine PicKit2 for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ckas View Post
    I own a gecko 540 driven cnc Taig with a trunnion table.......and I think this is pretty typical...
    I wouldn't say a trunnion table is typical for us! I'm sorry I would have a look for a suitable file for you, I'd be surprised if one doesn't exist by now but I don't have the time because I have exams. If you're still interested I'll have a look afterwards. Have you tried asking on the forums for some help on modifying an existing one?
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 24-05-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm glad to hear it. I'd love to hear his thoughts on the subject.

Sorry, over the years I have worked closely with Art and I am still doing so on three different fronts, one is Gearotic which I can mention, the other two are still under wraps. We speak most weeks and I have nothing but complete respect for this guy and what he has done for the CNC comunity virtually single handed. He has made CNC affordable and workable for many people who would not have had this opertunity any other way.
    LinuxCNC isn't exactly on everyones lips, in fact the vast majority involved in CNC have never heard of it.

Because of support I know know exactly how many Sieg machines have been sold and to what countries. It's an impressive number given that Russia has installed one in virtually every school not to mention all the other countries. All running on Mach with little or no support given that windows is the most popular program out there and someone somewhere will sort windows problems out.
    This also doesn't cover home builds which has got to be in the tens of thousands and the clones like Novacon, How Mau and Syil that were all copied from Sieg in the early days.

Why isn't Linux CNC up there with these numbers?
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 24-05-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments
    John S -

Because of support I know know exactly how many Sieg machines have been sold and to what countries. It's an impressive number given that Russia has installed one in virtually every school not to mention all the other countries. All running on Mach with little or no support given that windows is the most popular program out there and someone somewhere will sort windows problems out.
    I'll refer you to my friend who was born in Russia, lived and went to school in Russia for half his life is talking to me on Skype had this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sokolov View Post
    Didn't have one in the school I went to, and never heard of one being in a school. Seeing as funding in Russian state schools is incredibly tight and corrupt, I find your claim difficult to believe. Googling "Sieg ЧПУ в школах" (meaning Sieg CNC in schools) doesn't bring up any relevant results. If anything, briefly looking over the list of linuxCNC developers, I couldn't help but notice a lot of Russian names.

Why isn't Linux CNC up there with these numbers?
    The reason is the same reason computing is dominated by Windows, and iPhones are popular: Profitable organisations can afford marketing. But don't worry, all that is changing. Furthermore, this is an argumentum ad populum.

LinuxCNC isn't exactly on everyones lips, in fact the vast majority involved in CNC have never heard of it.
    That's precisely why I've gone to the trouble of making as many replies as I have. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

I'll refer you to my friend who was born in Russia, lived and went to school in Russia for half his life is talking to me on Skype had this to say:
    There you go again with the disrespect basicly calling respectable bloke a liar.!! . . . . Grow up Lad and have some respect.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    When has Mach ever been marketed?

In the time I've been looking at CNC, I can not remember any marketing for it. All I remember is it being recommended by lots of people, and it being the accepted standard, as until fairly recently, nothing else came close in terms of flexibility/ease of use/price.
    You've got to remember that until a few years ago, linux itself needed a fair bit of knowlodge to get a somewhat easy to use setup.

Anyway with the mention of Russia and to get slightly back on track with the OP's thread.!
    I've been intouch with Alexey of Purelogic in Russia about trying there Ethernet controller and also there drives and I'm going to be having some sent shortly.

So when I have them and given it a good thrashing I'll post my findings and based on my 3+yrs of actually using the USB SS I'll give a honest report of how it compares for the few hundred thousand Mach users that are still left or interested.??

That's precisely why I've gone to the trouble of making as many replies as I have. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.
    Jonathan,
    grow up, you have only been using it for three weeks, not even long enough to grow a decent beard.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Anyway with the mention of Russia and to get slightly back on track with the OP's thread.!
    I've been intouch with Alexey of Purelogic in Russia about trying there Ethernet controller and also there drives and I'm going to be having some sent shortly.
    I'll give a honest report of how it compares for the few hundred thousand Mach users that are still left or interested.??
    That will be interesting. If I have the opportunity to do a direct comparison I shall.

When has Mach ever been marketed?
    I apologise for not making myself clear. Mach hasn't been marketed, but Windows most certainly has. Most people aren't aware of linux TO be aware of linuxCNC.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    There you go again with the disrespect basicly calling respectable bloke a liar.!! . . . . Grow up Lad and have some respect.
    No he's really not, you're putting words in his mouth.

I wasn't saying he is lying:If you'd ever been to a Russian school, and knew for example that they were literally all built the same, and had numbers instead of names, you'd understand how ridiculous it would be for them to have CNC machines. It would be the equivalent of having an multi million pound NMR machine in a school chemistry lab. A few select private schools maybe (and good for them), most schools, certainly not.

So the trip over to Russia to sort out support with the Russian guys was a figment of my imagination ?
    John S -

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information