Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
3 weeks ago
It's been a fair bit longer if you insist on bringing it up and I've been aware of the advantages of linuxCNC for years. I just waited to see if it was actually as difficult to use as people claimed, so I was better informed before promoting it, and it turned out to be just fine. If you think I was magically converted 3 weeks ago, you are wrong. For what it's worth, my machine has now done over 100 hours cutting since switching to linuxCNC and since the start achieved higher feed-rates then I ever got with mach3. They were high enough before, but it shows the system is more stable.

Why if he's so knowledgeable and helpful for others did he not sort out why Mach wouldn't work in his case ? Is it because he can't ?
I estimated that installing linuxCNC would be faster than continuing lengthy diagnostics on my machine and I had wanted to try it for a long time anyway, so I went for it. Mach3 worked for me for the most part so there was no reason to change.
As usual, this has nothing to do with my original point.

Unlike the vast majority of those 142M, my friend has been in a Russian school in the past 15 years, in central Moscow, which has better funded schools than most of the country. There are around 60,000 schools in Russia (confirmed in numerous places on google), so I take 'the vast majority' to mean you've sold >30,000 CNC machines? Anyway, it would appear that you're under the impression that I'm calling you a liar. I'll say it again: I'm not, I think it's likely that you're exaggerating and if you confirm that 30,000 Sieg CNC machines have been sold to Russia, then I'll happily put my hands up and admit my suspicions were wrong. Anyway, even if you sold twenty trillion billion cnc machines to every country in the world, and they ALL ran MACH, that would still be an argumentum ad populum.
Having been linked to a few Russian forums it seems that LinuxCNC has a far bigger presence there and is actually more popular on the biggest Russian forum I could find: http://www.cnc-club.ru/forum/index.php

supping vodka [ which I hate ] from 45 gallon drums.
No wonder you consider having big buttons an advantage...