. .
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    questions that arose in the thread including tool balancing, questions about hollowing the shaft and physical workable material in the shaft i thought it may be better to opt for a tormach like solution with atc which is where the man i2i has come up with the goods, the speed was just a side effect of the spindle rather than a requirement for the project,
    Ahh fair enough, would have linked to that myself if I'd known! For me 6000rpm is useless as the tools I use the vast majority of the time run at 9000-13000rpm.
    Making an ATC system for 6000rpm is a lot less challenging since, to an extent, balancing is no longer an issue. Also you can use much bigger/stronger angular contact bearings than at 24krpm which makes the design much easier. Still not saying it's a straightforward project, but I'd consider it as even though that spindle is a good price compared to the rest it's still a lot of money to spend...

For motors you've got lots of options at 6000rpm. Most standard induction motors will overspeed quite a lot, so a 2-pole motor and a belt will give plenty of power and options. However they're rather heavy and bulky.

The motor I used on my micro lathe is actually ideal here:

[That's odd - it's dissapeared from www.hobbyking.com, it was called 'Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv' ... I'll email to find out where it's gone, hope it's not discontinued. They're available elsewhere but more expensive. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...?f=28&t=39779]

Being rated for 6.5kW (as if!) means you could probably afford to run it direct drive and still have plenty of power at 1000rpm, athough it would still be better to have two ratios. Probably 3:1 and 1:1.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 26-05-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added links
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Er, don't see what all the fuss is about - it's only rated for 6000rpm. Unless some of the others in that table are also ATC spindles...
    It looks like BT30 taper tooling is capable of much more than 6000rpm, so it makes you wonder why that spindle can't do it - is it just not balanced very well, or cheap bearings? That would explain the price.
    How nice it would be if it was just the bearings, However im not that lucky so im not going to consider it....MUCH
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    if you can find similar to i2i at a faster speed for £800 or so then i would not object.. LOL
    Ye if I could they would need to have 2 available or you wouldn't hear about it untill it was fitted. .Lol

LMAO... now i trust your words because that is funny..
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ye if I could they would need to have 2 available or you wouldn't hear about it untill it was fitted. .Lol
    Nah, 3 as I'd have already bought one!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Thanks for offering about asking for translation, yes please
    No worries... I'll find out.

Oh what's this!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...6srckLwoIqwSSA

http://www.aysipu.com/English/produc...sh/product.asp

SPP1030-10-17F, 10,000rpm, $1000

Getting closer to our goal...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 26-05-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Oh what's this!

SPP1030-10-17F, 10,000rpm, $1000

Getting closer to our goal...
    Well assuming the postage is $130 like the one from i2i thats £722.50 (plus any taxes god forbid lol) ... dare we go any further.. the thing is i now have what i need so anything else is a bonus as the pressure is off...

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    I'm looking at at least one maybe two of these BT30 atc spindles, so when you're looking at getting yours let me know. A better search may provide a better or cheaper product so don't rush into this one.
    I also looked at the spindle with the motor, but i need to use 6k or less for mill use.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    I'm looking at at least one maybe two of these BT30 atc spindles, so when you're looking at getting yours let me know. A better search may provide a better or cheaper product so don't rush into this one.
    I also looked at the spindle with the motor, but i need to use 6k or less for mill use.
    Your wish is my command we will keep looking, i didnt see the spindle with motor...

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    A lot of these places seem to have a quantity discount for 5. If there's one that does at least 12,000rpm then I could be persuaded, which would make 5 (Jazz, you*2, ricardoco, me). Bound to have to pay customs charges, but most seem to value them lower than the actual cost so that shouldn't be too bad.

I'll have a better look later as router is running at the moment...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information