. .
    hiya one and all,

i am very new to the CNC scene and hence you will find my querry might be asking for alot.

I am in need of a CNC milling machine. now either I will build one out of my X2 from axminster or buy one that is complete and ready to run.

so here goes:

I mainly work in aluminium.

what would be the best for money. build my own out of the X2 or buy a complete machine.

where would the best place be to buy a complete machine.

for a diy build where would I start.

I am price consious so I am looking for best price.

I know that there is a pulley conversion but where can I get one in the uk, as the screetch is very annoying.

I understand that a computer is required but what software do you need.

further more, what is the easiest 3d drawing software to design the parts with.

finally is there anywhere that teaches cnc milling for hobbiests and using the software for designing parts?

guess this is the first post of many but hope that you all are patient enough with me.

Many thanks

Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah_harper View Post
    hiya one and all,

i am very new to the CNC scene and hence you will find my querry might be asking for alot.

I am in need of a CNC milling machine. now either I will build one out of my X2 from axminster or buy one that is complete and ready to run.

so here goes:

I mainly work in aluminium.

what would be the best for money. build my own out of the X2 or buy a complete machine.

where would the best place be to buy a complete machine.

for a diy build where would I start.
    As far as I know there are no kits in the UK for X2's, there are some in the States like CNC fusion but although cheap are not very good, things like poor thrusts and commercial Nook rolled ballscrews not suitable for CNC use.

DIY build would require you to get advise preferably from someone who has done an X2, This forum is very good though.

Turnkey machines with support are available from Arceurotrade in Leicester, www.arceurotrade.co.uk

I am price conscious so I am looking for best price.

I know that there is a pulley conversion but where can I get one in the uk, as the screech is very annoying.

I understand that a computer is required but what software do you need.

further more, what is the easiest 3d drawing software to design the parts with.
    Again no kits available but many have done this conversion, a web search should get you plenty of details.
    PC is required and the common software for beginners is Mach3, See www.machsupport.com you can download a working demo to play with and get familiar.
    As regards an easy 3D drawing package , there isn't one. 3D has a steep learning curve and as well as a drawing package you need a CAM package that converts your drawing into what is known as G code for the machine to understand.

Finally is there anywhere that teaches cnc milling for hobbiests and using the software for designing parts?
    Arceuro have CNC introductory days, actually a Saturday morning, where a simple design is taken from a drawing stage, thru CAM and cut on a machine. There is no charge for this, contact Arc to see when the next session is planned and get your name down as it usually limited to 6 persons max.

Guess this is the first post of many but hope that you all are patient enough with me.

Many thanks

Becky
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Turnkey machines with support are available from Arceurotrade in Leicester, www.arceurotrade.co.uk

And John gets 50p in the pound for every new recruit.!! . . .But he's worth every Hobnob. .

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    And John gets 50p in the pound for every new recruit.!! . . .But he's worth every Hobnob. .
    Less VAT...........
    John S -

Thread Information