. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I know it is only £250 but as of late I have spent close to 2g on
    hobby related bits n bobs. Soon though, I'll want to sell off a few
    things so I'll get the fly press eventually, then I'll relegate the
    Arbour press to minor duties instead :-)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    An arbour press would be my choice, however I'd also be checking the required cutting/shearing forces first to make sure I got a big enough one.

Although as John S has said, building a one shot press will be more efficient in the long run, it may be easier to do it in multistages, in terms of constructing the dies.
    The dies could be laser cut, however they'd still need finished to tolerance by milling/grinding/polishing, with the cutting edges hardened, tempered then ground to create a durable edge.

Hi m_c

I will be working with strips of 1mm aluminium so I dont think im gonna need major force applied
    to get a cut out. Surely 1/2 tonne force would do that providing that the dies were of decent
    quality.

I do prefer the idea of having seperate dies for the job. Technically, I could put together a
    DXF file of a die that would do all three and maybe I will! when I get
    the fly press later on. For the mean time though, 3 reasonably durable dies in
    tool steel or something similiar will do the job just fine.

My only current concern is how much those dies will cost me, but I'll worry about that at a later time
    Last edited by Noel.C; 27-05-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: extended

Quote Originally Posted by Noel.C View Post
    Hi m_c

I will be working with strips of 1mm aluminium so I dont think im gonna need major force applied
    to get a cut out. Surely 1/2 tonne force would do that providing that the dies were of decent
    quality.

I do prefer the idea of having seperate dies for the job. Technically, I could put together a
    DXF file of a die that would do all three and maybe I will! when I get
    the fly press later on. For the mean time though, 3 reasonably durable dies in
    tool steel or something similiar will do the job just fine.

My only current concern is how much those dies will cost me, but I'll worry about that at a later time
    Looking at your designs it occured to me that the male side of the cutting die could be concave across 1 axis thus allowing it to begin cutting at both end and finishing in the middle thus lowering the cutting force required even further as opposed to bashing through the whole cut at once...if you know what i mean.. lol
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardoco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Looking at your designs it occured to me that the male side of the cutting die could be concave across 1 axis thus allowing it to begin cutting at both end and finishing in the middle thus lowering the cutting force required even further as opposed to bashing through the whole cut at once...if you know what i mean.. lol

Hi ricardoco

I think I understand what you are getting at, only had 3 or 4 minutes there to
    try it out in 3d as about to dart of to work here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	389176_451835151512943_100000593853506_1732498_1059897543_n.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	6068

So basically, rather then cutting through the entire surface area at once, you
    want the force to be focused on a smaller surface area?

Sounds good and if it decreases the strain on the arbor press it might be worth doing.

Cheers
    Noel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draw.gif 
Views:	248 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	6086

Could anyone give me a rough guestimate as to the probable cost of these male/female
    die sets?

They are meant for 1/2 tonne arbour press, measurements wont be right yet because press has not arrived but basically they will be around the 30x30mm except for the female backing plates. I suppose the backing plates could be mild steel and the diestool steel or similiar.

The cut and stamping set would need to have tempered edges.
    Last edited by Noel.C; 29-05-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information