. .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi Jonny,
    Good job on the stripping! Keep the good work! ;-)

One thing tho, Once a part has been prime, it can not stay without paint for more than a day or 2... The primer must not get in contact with humidity once it is dry.
    You must paint over it (with final paint or under-coat) ASAP .

Ho.... and do a test first primer... then paint on a small section to see if the paint re-act to the primer. (not all paints are compatible with all primers...)
    If it bubble, it's a no go! I had that with primer from Plasti-kote.

Laurent
    ive already done a test run with the paint, and its come out good
    although im not going to show the test piece as that would just spoil the suspense! :)

i am at the mercy of the weather with this build so i have to prime the bare metal to protect it, even though once all the paint is removed il have to rub back the primer and do the whole thing in one go

stay tuned for more fun and frolics!

Looks good so far. Did you consider getting it powder coated? I recently got a CNC router frame (60x60 box section, about 100kg) I did powder coated by a local company and it was only £30, which was their minimum order. It came out very nicely so I thought that was quite good considering power coating should be more durable than paint.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Looks good so far. Did you consider getting it powder coated? I recently got a CNC router frame (60x60 box section, about 100kg) I did powder coated by a local company and it was only £30, which was their minimum order. It came out very nicely so I thought that was quite good considering power coating should be more durable than paint.
    ive contemplated powder coating but nowhere locally will entertain such a small job, just big industrial operations! i have toyed with the idea of establishing my own setup as i seem to be constantly spraying motorcycle frames & components but i just don't have the space... yet!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnydeen View Post
    ive contemplated powder coating but nowhere locally will entertain such a small job, just big industrial operations! i have toyed with the idea of establishing my own setup as i seem to be constantly spraying motorcycle frames & components but i just don't have the space... yet!
    I just called the 5 nearest companies to me and that one was much cheaper than the rest. Did some powder coating at school once as they had a tank for it ... seems easy enough if you've got the right kit.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    30 quid,sounds like a bargain,where was it if you dont mind me asking?
    http://www.darrenpalm.co.uk/contact.htm
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

hi,johnny lm a million miles away from converting to a cnc be honest when l read blogs concerning the terms they use are goobley gook to me but lm intrested is there a book on how to convert small m/cs to cnc for the total novice

Quote Originally Posted by onecut View Post
    hi,johnny lm a million miles away from converting to a cnc be honest when l read blogs concerning the terms they use are goobley gook to me but lm intrested is there a book on how to convert small m/cs to cnc for the total novice
    i understand where your coming from, i am also a cnc novice but ive learned alot from just googling. i still get stumped regularly at the sheer technicality of some folks on this forum (especially when it come to electronics). all the information i have has come from hours of reading through forums and using google to decipher the gobbledygook

remember... take everything with a pinch of salt, there are many ways to skin a cat and you just need to find the way that suits you!

made a bit of progress today, finished striping the cabinet, sanded it back and then gave it a proper coat of red oxide primer. then i used the high build primer.
    at that point i had a thought, is it really such a good idea to do it mainly white? it'd just end up grubby and quite horrible in no time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image024.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	6233

the original idea was to do the top blue and the bottom in white but since the blue came out so well (pictures don't do it justice) i decided to go for the blue and use the white for the interior of the cupboard and the door.
    first coat done, one more then lacquer should do it

Name:	Image026.jpg 
Views:	1072 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	6234

Hi, johnny your works looking good nice finish lm going to hand paint mine havn,t sprayed before dont want to create any unwelcome problems,lm after some advice single phase motor 1/3hp for sale with stainless steel water pump attached £20 thinking buy it put coolant system in when lv done every thing else lv seen pictures of some boxfords, pump is hidden away in right side cupboard mine has open cabinet like yours this l think is the sump tank in middle where do you put water pump on these ones-cheers

Quote Originally Posted by onecut View Post
    Hi, johnny your works looking good nice finish lm going to hand paint mine havn,t sprayed before dont want to create any unwelcome problems,lm after some advice single phase motor 1/3hp for sale with stainless steel water pump attached £20 thinking buy it put coolant system in when lv done every thing else lv seen pictures of some boxfords, pump is hidden away in right side cupboard mine has open cabinet like yours this l think is the sump tank in middle where do you put water pump on these ones-cheers
    you are correct, the center piece of the cabinet is a coolant tank, i will be making a cover for it with some aluminium tread plate and then mounting a pump directly onto the cover

this is a picture of a csb (short bed version of the model c) and you can just about see the coolant pump setup on the integral tank

Name:	user3819_pic2929_1250247368.jpg 
Views:	3773 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	6252

i would have to say go for it, at that money its good going for you

me on the other hand, well if i find a decent pump for cheap ill get it but if i get to the point i need one i already have a water pump from a cbr900rr fireblade that might just do the trick

Hi, johnny was on phone to that lad selling two motors his ad in paper was cut short mid sentence said something like 2 motors single phase one has stainless steel pump attached other has gearbox-finished there so who knows l thought stainless steel pump for industrail use £20 could take chance at that price clean it up and it might do for my forthcoming boxford so l phoned him asked have you tested motor he said no hasnt got any wires on its brand new still in its box wrapped up so should be ok so he dropped it off for me showed me it l dont know anything about pumps but its spanking new says on side Lwa 75db l know thats the pressure only surprising thing appart from price is in /out holes for pipes about1-3/8 dia seems big to me but what do l know about pumps-nothing-brian

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information