. .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Hi guys, its me at last my little boxford has arrived from bonny scotland lad took it to bits years ago with view to painting and cleaning bits but never got further than disasembly so she,s here in a load bits havn.t got a scooby how to put back together but worry about that later be starting stripping and painting at weekend first things first visually its in decent nick needs rewired and motor is stiff to turn by hand so lm happy with a dash of apretension no doubt i,ll be bombarding you,s with pleas for help -take care-onecut

help,my boxfords arrived in bits lm trying to identifyA,B,C got a feeling lv paid over the odds asked time and time again what it was no response had already paid for it then,silly lad anyway lv looked for stamp right hand side cant find one when l find what it is can decide where the motor goes.dont laugh hav,nt seen one before cant see how it goes in cupboard surely not behind head how does it mount anyway has anyone any tips so l can find out what the little beaut is dont know if it helps but its got a screw dial indicator think that means its not a C is that right?

Hi OneCut,
    If there is a lead screw it means it is not a "T", it could be an A, B or C.
    Is there a gear box attached to the lead screw ? If so it's an "A" if not it could be a B or a C

Post a few pictures of all the bits you have, I'll tell you what it is from that.

RNR

johnny,just looking at your CSB lathe mine arrived mond its same as yours when you say getting new lock doesn,t even fit hole- looking at yours/mine the locks are identical mine doesnt fit hole either same too long bolts if you read up on these lathes say especially model C say they often used off shelve parts off other lathes that they had too many of as it was the cheaper lathe of the family so l guess its the original lock just put on as they had loads of them and wanted rid-one cut

onecut... mine is not a csb, its a B

the csb (standing for model C school boxford) was a slightly shorter version of the C

its easy to tell the differences between boxford lathes

a. has thread cutting gearbox and power cross feed/carrage feed
    b. has power cross feed/carrage feed
    c. has neither of the above facilities
    t. hasn't got a leadscrew / no thread cutting

then there is the aud, bud, cud, tud with UD standing for under drive (motor underneath lathe mounted in the cabinet)

check out the diagrams on the boxford spares website, it may help you reassemble
    http://www.boxford-software.com/spares/3656menu.html

also search for the book, know your lathe: screw-cutting lathe manual (by boxford) there is a pdf available (free) so just google it. if you cant find it i might be able to email it to you

You should be able to identify the machine from numbers stamped on the end of the bed some where about the arrow points in pic.
    They could be very faint but from these it should tell you the year of manufacture and model. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe.png 
Views:	5572 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	6399

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You should be able to identify the machine from numbers stamped on the end of the bed some where about the arrow points in pic.
    They could be very faint but from these it should tell you the year of manufacture and model. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe.png 
Views:	5572 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	6399
    Jazz is correct, this link should help you identify the year http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford/page8.html
    thats how i dated mine, it was made in 1958

Stripped my cabinet down using angle grinder got paint and primer from work they paint all our factory machines with it without problem so l thought the primer paint must be compatible so no worries there the primer is rust proof oil proof etc,put primer on its black went on ok 2 coats,after work put first coat battleship grey on cabinet didnt get far and it started to congeal tried again same thing paint fighting me all the way so in short a disaster will have to come off at weekend ,more money down the pipe no ten dolloars in my jeans,not a happy bunny-one cut

Quote Originally Posted by onecut View Post
    put primer on its black went on ok 2 coats,after work put first coat battleship grey on cabinet didnt get far and it started to congeal tried again same thing paint fighting me all the way so in short a disaster will have to come off at weekend
    I hate to say that, but I did say do a trial first with Primer / final coat...

RNR

RNR, Well l wont be doing that again it will be a test piece in future ,know you advised this l only got as far as tray top and stopped when the paint wouldn,t go on as l said got paint from work with compatible primer so thought they use it every day should be okone thing painter said at time didn,t put any significance against his comment theres your paint and primer primer takes a day to go off paint dries in an hour i,ll get you some thiners he didn,t come back must of forgot but l wasn,t bothered bought some on way home just paint that was suitable tried and tested that l wanted he asked me how l got on with primer said ok some blisters rub down and give it a second coat he asked day later how did finish painting go l said a disaster told him concealed as soon as l put on said sounds like you need some more thinners l said its ok l have my own he said cant do that paint,primer, thinners come as a package one wont work without the other thats why you having problems give me some thinners got home mixed it paint went on without problem wish l knew earlier but its looking decent with final coat to go on do on sat in natural light-he said same always do a test make sure right texture before you start-a happier bunny-one cut
    Last edited by onecut; 24-07-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: wrong info

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information