. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    After reading many posts on larger DIY steel frame machines, one of the subjects that keeps being mentioned as a potential weakness is leveling the machine. I wondered if there was a way of creating a system to level say 4 supports from the machine. Maybe the 4 buckets full of water and connected by pipes sort of thing. Any thoughts???
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    one of those rotating lasers

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    one of those rotating lasers
    Ive got a self leveling laser but i was more interested in some concept that could be incorperated into a gantry type 8x4 that would make leveling automatic and then be locked into that position untill the machine is moved and then used again to do it again..
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    do you live in an earthquake zone?

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    do you live in an earthquake zone?
    No but im always looking for a bigger cheaper and longer term workshop and with people (i2i)teasing me with these large mills it becomes even more certain i will move....

Four of these connected with pipes and some sort of locking mech filled with water under the piston of course..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg 1.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	6084

You could always consider hydraulics but then you would have to consider the weight changing as the head moved!
    Seen on the box where they lifted a building using hydraulics from that they just made sure the pressure in each piston was the same.

peter

The machine it's self doesn't need to be level it could be at 45deg and workfine, it needs to be sat on flat surface with no twist.
    It's getting the parallel rails level on the same plane thats the more important thing.!! . . . . Very hard to do and time consuming best done with precision straight edges and machine levels.
    Even then it's not fun.!!! . . . Must have took me 6 weeks to tweak my machine into a position where I was happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The machine it's self doesn't need to be level it could be at 45deg and workfine, it needs to be sat on flat surface with no twist.
    It's getting the parallel rails level on the same plane thats the more important thing.!! . . . . Very hard to do and time consuming best done with precision straight edges and machine levels.
    Even then it's not fun.!!! . . . Must have took me 6 weeks to tweak my machine into a position where I was happy with it.
    I am confident that My rails will be parallel however the surface the machine will be standing on is rough tamped concrete and although it will sit evenly on all four feet it does matter to me that it is as level as i can get it, because i will be using the bed for other things when the cnc machine is not in use..

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The spinny laser thing would project a flat plane, but not necessarily a level one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    I am confident that My rails will be parallel however the surface the machine will be standing on is rough tamped concrete and although it will sit evenly on all four feet it does matter to me that it is as level as i can get it, because i will be using the bed for other things when the cnc machine is not in use..
    Next thing you'll be saying it's 12x6' with a pocket in each corner...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information